Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: for you guys it make plastic baits tricks of the trade

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default for you guys it make plastic baits tricks of the trade

in the following pictures you will see how I make two colors on baby shed stingers. The first photo you will see this may use and they plastic syringe to feel the back cavity in if you want to make a tale color simply cut the tail off of the body and replace it in the mold then fall the first step put the mold back to gather and shoot your body color.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    you can do this process with many plastic baits such as your twister tails in other grub type plastic baits . It is a little trick that I stumbled on by accident . I kinda caught on by a good friend of ours that no longer is here crappie day had sent me a bunch of syringes to use on my Jilly jigs to fill the cavities you make them. I got to thinking about if I use that syringe to feel a grub mold or baby Shad Stinger on the back and put it back together and shoot it it definitely works. So I pass this on to you guys rather than put in tinfoil and splitting your molds. This is 10 times faster. So don't be afraid to experiment. This is the name of the game when we are working with plastics it is to share our tricks with you so you may learn hope to see more tricks of the trade from you guys in the future.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

snake, I thought this might be how you were doing it. However it looks like a plastic type syringe. I tried to use something similar when I first started pouring and it melted all the way through it. I was scared to experiment with anything else. Maybe I need to try again. Exactly what type of syring is it you are using and do you just pull the plunger out and pour in the plastic and then put the plunger back in or do you suck it out of the cup using the plunger. I would think by pouring it in that it would dribble all over the mold while you were going from one cavity to the next. Those look great and thanks for sharing

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    snake, I thought this might be how you were doing it. However it looks like a plastic type syringe. I tried to use something similar when I first started pouring and it melted all the way through it. I was scared to experiment with anything else. Maybe I need to try again. Exactly what type of syring is it you are using and do you just pull the plunger out and pour in the plastic and then put the plunger back in or do you suck it out of the cup using the plunger. I would think by pouring it in that it would dribble all over the mold while you were going from one cavity to the next. Those look great and thanks for sharing
    you leave the plunger all away in the body of the syringe put it in the plastic and pull the syringe back to fail, it then go over to your mold and gently squeeze you'll get the hang of it. It may melt sometimes the end of it. If it gets too bad throwaway by all means if you have a blowout in the side of the syringe immediately stop and throw it away. We've had no problems using the syringe you can buy expensive forms but they're not worth the time in these are so inexpensive is why I use them. Once you get the hang of it you will really enjoy it. We have done so many different types of plastic baits with this method and I like it a lot better than cutting my baits up and putting them back in. This way you get a true uniformed mold shot you can use a bigger syringe is to shoot the molds. We have tried this but not to good. We recommend using the regular syringe that you use every day for shooting plastic . If you have any further questions, fire away sometimes you'll have to be careful not to get your plastics superhot a word of caution if you do when you go to shoot that you may have a blowout. So we try to keep the temperature just warm enough to shoot it. I would say around 350 or 326 would be a good number to go by. If you do not have a thermal meter it's wise to get one just to give you a rough ideal on were that temperature is we know enough now that we judge by the texture of the plastic coming out of the microwave at about what temperature it is this is trial and error. You will also learn real fast. I do not use the Prestel pots anymore. They are to time-consuming and you cannot redo the plastic in them we are mostly 100% microwave user now in we do use small Pyrex measuring cups. We do not use the bigger ones. It's a lot faster too. He your plastic cup be careful if you are using the small cups because it will burn the plastic in a hurry.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Snake, your inbox is full. I tried to send you a pm. I have some info for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigtwins View Post
    Snake, your inbox is full. I tried to send you a pm. I have some info for you.
    thank you will empty it.and then I'll send you PM

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used the microwave and pyrex cups. I do not use a thermometer, I just know when it is ready. About how much do those syringes cost? I saw some at the tractor supply and co op but did not look at the price. I guess I would not have to suck up too much in it to just do a few molds part way, that way if it melted through I would not lose plastic much and would not get burned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I have always used the microwave and pyrex cups. I do not use a thermometer, I just know when it is ready. About how much do those syringes cost? I saw some at the tractor supply and co op but did not look at the price. I guess I would not have to suck up too much in it to just do a few molds part way, that way if it melted through I would not lose plastic much and would not get burned.
    I do not know why I have a thermal meter. I don't even use it most the time in yes I've been burnt quite a few times but I do wear gloves when I handled the injector sometimes it will fly but usually in the right direction. Hopefully.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Once I had taken my glove off a little too soon thinking the plastic was cool. The plastic in the middle busted through and put a good many water blisters on my hand for about a month. My whole hand swelled up and it hurt pretty bad. It could have been much worse and it taught me a lesson. I think it was a good thing really though because it made me be more aware and did not hurt me bad enough for the doctor. So it was all good, maybe it prevented something worse.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to thinking after looking at this process that you could really do some neat things this way too. If you had one of those tail molds and had several different piles of colored tails made up, you could easily use a contrasting color tail and lay it right on top of the half you did and then when you close it and shoot the remainder, you would have the perfect small core shot. You could also do a center layer of glitter on lighter colored baits and I bet it would look great. I wish I had time to try it cause I bet it would work well. There are many things you could do this way.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting Snake. Thanks for the post.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast