Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: spincast reels and braid ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default spincast reels and braid ?

Has anyone ever used a braid line with spincasting reels. I like usin my trigger spin reels but find the twistin line a bit of a hassle. I curently use a mono 6# and am playing with the idea of trying a small diameter braid. I am pretty much a slip cork fisherman and I know that might make a little difference. Thanks for your replies in advance...guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guybass View Post
    Has anyone ever used a braid line with spincasting reels. I like usin my trigger spin reels but find the twistin line a bit of a hassle. I curently use a mono 6# and am playing with the idea of trying a small diameter braid. I am pretty much a slip cork fisherman and I know that might make a little difference. Thanks for your replies in advance...guy
    I tried that a while ago and didn't like it too well...especially for crappie fishing with a cork. Here are some of the things I didn't like:

- If you hang up, getting free was worse than mono. Pulling on it cuts the line into the spooled line on the reel.
    - I had a tendency to set the hook too hard and pulled some baits/jigs out of the fish.
    - Depending on the cork you use, the line would cut the plastic on the cork.

I did like it better for pitching and retrieving a jig, but still had some of the hang up and hook set issues until I got used to it.

I know there are a few more versions of the braid now so they may be better. Also, I'm not sure what mono you are using, but you might try a different brand.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10lb Power Pro (2lb dia) on Zebco 33's for the kids with no issues...I just tie it straight on the reels.

I fish with Abu Garcia 1276SLI which is a spincast that is made for braid, it comes with 14lb fireline but I switch out the fireline for Power Pro 20/8 or 50/10. Everything I own has Power Pro on it Every so often I'll shoot all the reels with line dressing just to keep the braid slick.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff