Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly fishing for crappie

Anyone ever tried it?

I've accidentally caught some in the spring while trying to catch early-spawn bluegills. It seems like the slow presentation might be the trick on some days.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've tried it and theres others who fish them all year long. If you go to Fly Anglers On line and look in the panfish section, and also do a search on posts by Rick Z you'll find all kinds of articles and patterns that he use's for crappie and bluegill. He's a great guy to talk to and enjoys sharing the knowledge that he has.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fatman!!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have not tried it yet. I might next summer when I gi to Reelfoot. People say it is easy. I have always been a clutz and have been afraid of tangling my feet in the line while stripping it.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem, glad I could help

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship, if you don't get tangled up in the line, you're much better than I am. Watch the pro's on TV fly fishing for Tarpon. When they get a hook up their next move is the funky clutzy gonna bust my butt two step while they try to get the line out from underfoot. It's just part of the game. You could fashion a stripping basket and the line would never hit the floor. I've got the gear, just hard to focus when I know my jigs work so well.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I flyfish crappie a few times a year with one of my flyfishing fanatic buddies. We do pretty well too. I dont make 30 to 40 ft casts tho. And i use a very small bobber with a 100 oz jig. We cast to blowdowns from about 20 ft out and very slowly fish the jig back to the boat so not much line stripping to get tangled. I may post pics next time we go.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm using a float and a jig, I'd rather use spinning gear. Casting is much easier and more pleasant, and you don't have any problems with the line tangling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    I flyfish crappie a few times a year with one of my flyfishing fanatic buddies. We do pretty well too. I dont make 30 to 40 ft casts tho. And i use a very small bobber with a 100 oz jig. We cast to blowdowns from about 20 ft out and very slowly fish the jig back to the boat so not much line stripping to get tangled. I may post pics next time we go.
    I wish you would post pics. I think they would be neat to see!

Post Thanks / Like

I only fly fish for everything cept walleye. I always said when you learn how to fly fish you will catch more fish than any other way. I will bet anyone 100. they can take me any where and I will out fish them. As far as stepping onto the lione in a boat, use a stripping basket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast