Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ultimate dock shooting setup

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultimate dock shooting setup

We discussed the ultimate crappie boat, now its time for the ultimate dock shooter. I tried my 9MM but the dock owners frowned at me. Seriously, I want to get a rig to use primarily for shooting docks. What are some favorite rod, reel and line that you like to use?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock shooter.....

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    We discussed the ultimate crappie boat, now its time for the ultimate dock shooter. I tried my 9MM but the dock owners frowned at me. Seriously, I want to get a rig to use primarily for shooting docks. What are some favorite rod, reel and line that you like to use?

I've tried several different rigs and finally settled on a 5 ft. Browning "Jig & Grub Special," combined with a Silstar Long Cast EF25 spinning reel. My first was a BnM 4 ft. 8 inch shooter (they called it a 5 footer) but it lacked enough backbone, and couldn't get a good skip under the docks. I am using 6 lb. Stren Gold for visibility, but it seems to have more memory than I like for a small reel, but have not found a better replacement. About 50% of the fish caught on this rig was by watching the line for that subtle twitch while the lure was falling, but once on depth and slowly reeling, you can usually feel the hit, but I still keep watching the line in case they come toward me.

Hmmmmm, I assume the 9MM is a new rod for dock shooting?? :D

Post Thanks / Like

Ever try Power Pro as a replacement for your line? I just spooled up a 4' 8" rod with it and it comes off real nice in the backyard................

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry can't answer that - I got 10lb. (supposed to be 2lb. diameter - they need to check their micrometers, I believe they need calibrated) and that is a greenish color. Zero memory from the looks of things. It does have some draw backs that I can see right off the back - special knots, need a knife or scissors to cut it - typical braid qualities. I'll over look those issues if it fishes as nice as it casts - does seem to add some distance to casting over mono.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Zig, I've been using Power pro for quite a while now on spinning reels. I still use a palomar knot with no problems. I had to get in the practice of manually closing the bail just before the bait hits the water and I spray it once in a while with silicone. That seems to help get rid of those tangles that come out of nowhere.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dock shooting ....

naw ibn ... a 9mm isn't enough, ya needs a 357 Mag ....LOL!!

A good rod for dock shooting has to have some backbone ... some stiffness to it, so as to "load up" when you bend it back, and snap forward with speed when you let'er go. I've shot docks with most all of my Crappie outfits ... from my 4.5ft'r to my 7ft'rs, Ultralights & Microlights, spinning and spincast setups. It "can" be done with these types of rods & outfits .... it's just easier and more efficient, and baits cast farther (or skips across the water's surface farther) if you are using a MH action rod. Timing the release of the line coming from the reel, as the baited end of the line passes the rod tip, is the key to a good "shot" ... a MH rod puts more speed and power into the flight of the bait - and due to that, one must get their "timing" down pretty tight. Currently I am using a 6ft MH Browning/Lews Graphite spinning rod with a graphite Tenn Handle (no cork or foam - all graphite).

The reel is important, too. UL reels have small diameter spools ... the problem there being that the line is in small coils on the spool, so any memory problems are magnified on a long shot under a dock. A reel with a wider/larger diameter spool is going to make the shot go farther, and memory coils will play less of a role. I am currently using a Shimano Spirex 2000 spinning reel on my B/L rod ... but that is only because it's the one I had on it, when I used it for Bass fishing. The outfit is actually a "medium" Bass fishing setup, and so is "heavy" in comparison to my other Crappie rigs. I've just used so many different types and weights of rod/reel combos, in my fishing life, that it doesn't bother me to switch back and forth from UL to Heavy action setups. Some possible choices for "dock shooting reels" are: Mitchell Spidercast, Mitchell 300X series, Mitchell Avocet series, Shimano's in the 1000 series (from the TX model up to the Spirex), and the Okuma UL10 ... all depending on price range, bearing count, handle style, weight, and spool diameter. My "personal" preference would be a Shimano Spirex 1000 ... simply because I like the trigger, two handles with ergonomic grips (I don't like barrel grips), and the Shimano customer service. Second to that would be the Spidercast. I do admit, however, that I have not used any of the other reels mentioned ... but I do plan on checking out the Okuma's, whenever they arrive at my local tackle shop.

Line - therein lies the demon .... you need a strong line, small diameter, yet a soft and supple line that doesn't have great memory problems ... and it doesn't hurt if the line is easily visable to the angler !! (sometimes it's just the slightest "tic" in the line that signals a bite). I've used a dozen different lines ... and the jury is still out on which is best, overall. My suggestion would be to use whatever line you are most confident in, that does the job for you, whether it be mono - co-polymer - fluorocarbon - or braid. Just stay away from the bulk "bargain" lines at Wallyworld or other such places - except as "backing" line. :D

Baits - compact, solid body baits, like the Panfish Assassin, seem to "skip" better when shooting .... jighead weights range from 1/64 - 1/32 - 1/24 - 1/16oz ... depending on the rate of fall necessary to catch the attention of the fish. That doesn't discount the tubes (hollow or solid) and other styles of plastic bodies. With the right equipment - they can be shot under a dock with equal results.

A little practice, beforehand, will keep you from sending your jig flying into any number of obstacles inherent to a boat dock .... or sending that "warning" THUNK or TANG sound, when you missfire and hit wood/metal/fiberglass :rolleyes: !! All you want is the splash sound of the jig skipping across the surface of the water ... it's a more natural sound, to get the attention of the Crappie and get them to look for the source of that sound. ...................luck2ya .................cp
    Likes jym LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I've got a great set-up!

I just recently put a new 1 of these together. I use a Shimano UL 4' 6" rod, with a Quantum Snapshot 3 reel that is spooled with 6' Flame Green Fireline. I have a small ice fishing slip cork rigged with a 1/32 oz jig which has a #4 hook. The combination is simply AWESOME!

The trigger on the reel makes for pin-point timed releases. The Fireline gives me all the distance I need to get way back under the pontoon boats. The slip cork allows me to stay right in the strike zone, way back in no fishing land! The short pole doesn't take up any rod rack room, and makes shooting in strange positions simple. :D

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 10-20-2004 at 11:44 AM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like a good excuse for a new rig even tho I have a couple that may work.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va