Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Arkabutla Spillway

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arkabutla Spillway

The spillway finally opened Friday at 1500 cfs, 2500 cfs Saturday and opened further Sunday to 4300 cfs. I went Sunday afternoon and had a little success in the little slack water that was there. The bite was real subtle and I lost three good fish because I wasn't fast enough on the trigger. Wasn't alot of people there, and most left before 5pm to watch the game.

Checked out Elbow creek, but the trash hadn't settled yet. If they keep this current rate of discharge (opened to 5000 cfs today) Elbow creek should be hot this week. Arkabutla is 17 feet above rule, so it looks like the spillway will be running for awhile.
    Been better, been worse

Paul in Indy Guest

I have been planning on fishing Arkabutla for the first time.
    I live in Indiana and am looking for some good advise.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the spillway Saturday morning, was the only one there. Never a good sign. The water was flowing good, but from the looks of the snow on the rocks, it had dropped a good 6-7 feet from the day before. Didn't catch a single fish, not even a nibble.

Drove over to Elbow creek and again only person there. I walked over the bridge to the opposite bank and a few others showed up. Saw a few decent fish caught, but very few. I caught three crappie, two dinks and one that went 15 /12 inches. I fished for another two hours without any more luck. The water was falling pretty hard out of the creek. Still a few weeks until the action really picks up, though I would bet later this week when the temps rise and the spillway re-opens the bite should return to Elbow.

After hearing and reading about Arkabutla, most folks are disappointed when they first see the lake. It is very muddy and depending on the water level, tough to find a good concentration of fish. The creeks on the North side usually heat up first, then up the Coldwater in the backwaters is the place to be. Spawn is usually over by the first week of May.
    Been better, been worse

Post Thanks / Like

Capn T give Me a Pm lets hook up soon

Ken

Paul in Indy Guest

Hey Guys,

Maybe we can all hook up when I come down. Most likely I'll be bu myself, I don't think the wife is going with me on this one. It would be nice to have a few friends to fish and with.

TroutCatchr1977 Guest

I'm going to try crappie fishing for the first time. Thinking of trying Arkabutla lake. Any tips on what type of bait to try and where to fish. I have only been to the Dam area of the lake so I am not familiar with any other locations, ie: how to drive to 'em..Thanks for any help!!

Post Thanks / Like

You are throwing yourself in my opinion on one of the toughest lakes to crappie fish on your first time. It would be like throwing raw chicken in a living room full of alligators!! Dont get me wrong there are NICE fish in there but it kicked my butt this wknd. Aggravated me to the point where I am goin back!!!!!! LOL!!!!! I caught 6 fish 2 over 2pounds one pound and a quarter and 3 11 inch fish.

My advice would be go to Sardis if you are starting cause if you stay at Arkabutla it wont take long for that lake to make you quit. It is a very humbling lake!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Slabalicious, I'd try sardis first. For bait, minnows usually work bout as good as anything. Jigs too! lightweight not bass jigs. 1/8 to 1/32 most colors good with chartreuse and the stained water there. I'd find water near Teckville or a little north, find trees in 15 to 20 foot plus water and put your bait right beside the tree, and move out and around from there till i found them. Shady side then sunnyside of the tree, they usually relate to the cover, but maybe many feet away from it, even relating to an underwater ledge or channel. Went today caught a couple dozen keepers but couldn't find a definitive pattern, Caught some 5ft deep and some 13 ft down suspending and scattered best luck 8-9 ft deep in 20 ft of water, liking red/chartruese jigs. Hope this helps and good luck! oh yea! Best bet is to find other boats fishing and try close to them without intruding on their space. Most folks down there are friendly and very helpful

Post Thanks / Like

where exactly is elbow creek at the arkabutla spillway? is it right there next to the big pier that sticks out or is that somethin else? also how do u get to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, elbow is by the pier on the DeSoto side. Accessible by driving around the road that ends at the pier.
    MDWFP
    Report Wildlife Violations:
    1-800-BE-SMART or Report Wildlife Violations Online