Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Video Games or Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Video Games or Fishing

My grandfather introduced me to the woods and the water. He told me after I was grown that he knew that if I stayed involved in the outdoors, I would not get in to trouble. I have to say, without gloating, I never been in trouble and in fact, only have one speeding ticket in my 34 years. I love the woods and the water more than ever and I am experiencing that envigeration all over again with my daughter. The same enjoyment my grandfater probably felt with me.

With that said, most of daughter's friends never have been fishing, and certainly never been hunting. I think this is what is leading to most of the problems we are seeing in this great nation today. I am worried about what kind of world my daughter is going to live in and I think if we all got back to the basics, and back to the woods and water, this nation would be a better place.

Just on my soap box tonight because of something I just saw on TV - sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Could not agree with you more!!! I have a 5 and a 2 year old. I don't worry about them as much as I wonder about their kid's and how things will be then. Guess it's just one of those never ending question's.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Chaser, you answered your own question, or posed yourself a challenge in your post. I'll get on my soap box a little and maybe get my point across. If your daughters friends haven't been fishing, take them. Get some crickets and take them to the bank somewhere and git er done. Maybe take them to a skeet field, tell some of the regulars what you're doing and ask for a few minutes of their time. I played with clay targets for over 20 yrs and I never saw anyone turned away. This is our addiction to the outdoor sports and it's our job to pass along the thrill of a sunrise, or a smoked clay bird, or a THUMP of a slab crappie on the end of a line. Who will carry it on if we don't. Always put them first, leave your stuff at home unless they will be using it, and always begin with a few words on safety. The NRA has safety info that I believe you can download for free. Your fun has just begun. I got with a leader in a local Boy Scout troop in Fl and made a Saturday with 22 kids and a few leaders, most had never held a gun. Moms and Dads that were leary of the whole affair came and were bubbling worse than the kids. It's an undertaking, but a worthwhile one. You get the idea, and I'll climb down from the box and not ramble.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Good advise Skeetbum. I have taken some of her friends that are interested in going with us, but not all of them are, and some of their parents have even said not with me offering to allow them to go. We went this past weekend with 50 crickets and had a blast.

I just dread the day when her "friend" is a "boy friend". At least it will give us a remote place to have discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Post and I agree 100%. There is just so much out there these days you better stay on top of what your kids are doing! I have 2 boys 17 and 15 and have had them in the woods, on the water, gardening, farming, and working since they could walk. Its been hard at times but never had any trouble out of them to speak of and they can do more than most men I know. Every friend that they bring home has been offered the same values. It takes something most folks are not willing to give these days to teach the next generation our passion.....INVESTING YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE.....and the pay off is worth it! Here is a pic from years ago..we never caught a fish that day, but we had fun and we all learned something...each fishin trip is like each day in life...it dont always turn out like you want but its what you make it!Name:  bank fishing.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  98.6 KB
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

So true.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

Post Thanks / Like

You know if parents REGULATED how much game time their kids are allowed IMO it doesn't matter a bit!!!!! My kids both love to fish, and they still got video game time (per my wifes and mine time allotment).

I'm a fishing nut but sorry I like my video games too. Due to injuries I haven't been able to hunt for the last two years, and I stopped ice fishing in my senior year of high school after I went through. Winter time is game time and tackle making.

Never a problem in my family.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your time with them while you can. I started my son out at around 2 years old, and he went fishing with me every time I went, he would have been mad at me if I ever went without him. He's now 14 and cares more about girls, phones, and his clothes that he changes 4 times a day. I know he wil come back around, but I sure miss it.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    You know if parents REGULATED how much game time their kids are allowed IMO it doesn't matter a bit!!!!! My kids both love to fish, and they still got video game time (per my wifes and mine time allotment).

I'm a fishing nut but sorry I like my video games too. Due to injuries I haven't been able to hunt for the last two years, and I stopped ice fishing in my senior year of high school after I went through. Winter time is game time and tackle making.

Never a problem in my family.

Fatman
    My daughters are both waaay smarter than me, and to a point it is due to the electronics/games/computers that they grew up with. So many parents let the distractions become babysitters and the kids lose focus on anything else. We all have different reasons for the way we operate and I meant no offense to anyone. I simply meant that our outdoor heritage is very valuable and the young people need to become tomorrows ambassadors for when we get too old to keep up the pace. Closer every day for me. Tight lines......
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around