PDA

View Full Version : Reels on jiggin' poles

Fishinwrench
02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
What reels are you guys using on your long jiggin' poles?

Those $12 gray Shakespere reels work out nice because they make it easy to keep track of how much line is out (1 revolution of the handle equals 1 foot, ect.)
But the d*mn things are the biggest P.O.S. ever made. I've bought 8-10 of them and don't think I've ever had one last long enough to change line on it.

I bought a couple of the B&M (black ones) thinking that they were better quality, but they are just the same reel with different sideplates.

Does anyone make a reel of that design that is of better quality ? I'm thinking about going to a flyreel, but they lack anti-reverse and won't allow the line counting like the little baitcaster types. FEED ME !

Bait Runner
02-06-2006, 12:41 PM
i USE THE CHEAP ZEBCO 33'S. ALL I WANT THEM TO DO IS HOLD LINE. I HAVE MINE FOR 4 OR 5 YRS. NO PROBLEMS. SOMETIMES CATCH THEM ON SALE FOR AROUND 10 BUCKS.

Fishinwrench
02-06-2006, 12:53 PM
A Zebco 33 would be too heavy for my taste, besides I'd be holding them upside down and reeling backwards, that would drive me nutts.

The little Zebco underspins might be the only alternative, but I really don't like closed face spincasters much. Is that what everyone else is using?

I like the little baitcaster lookin' reels, but I want better quality ones. Nobody makes a good one?

Slab Hunter
02-06-2006, 01:10 PM
If you are looking for something lite.... ;) Check out these.....

Line Minder Reel (http://www.slatersjigs.com/Fishing-Equip/LMR.html)

Very inexpensive also!

Fishinwrench
02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Naw, thanks but this isn't for a cane pole.

I'm needing something for B&M 10 footers, they have a reel seat and low profile guides. The little "Shakespere wondereel20" balances great, and does ok until they lock up or the spool rim cracks. They can't take much pressure...heck who am I foolin'...they can't take being used at all.

mikeg
02-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Try a zebco 11 they are a small reel and just right I think I gave about $12.00 each at Wall-Mart.

justfish
02-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I use the Quantum XR series spinng reels. They sell for arounf $20.00. Have been very good reels for the money.

crappies4ever
02-06-2006, 01:33 PM
i use those little zebco 11 trigger spincaster reels 4lbs. test line and they work great hold up for 4 or 5 years and for the money u can't beat them. they have never given me any of the problems u have mentioned.

SteveJ
02-06-2006, 02:18 PM
What reels are you guys using on your long jiggin' poles?

Those $12 gray Shakespere reels work out nice because they make it easy to keep track of how much line is out (1 revolution of the handle equals 1 foot, ect.)
But the d*mn things are the biggest P.O.S. ever made. I've bought 8-10 of them and don't think I've ever had one last long enough to change line on it.

I bought a couple of the B&M (black ones) thinking that they were better quality, but they are just the same reel with different sideplates.

Does anyone make a reel of that design that is of better quality ? I'm thinking about going to a flyreel, but they lack anti-reverse and won't allow the line counting like the little baitcaster types. FEED ME !

I have a friend that has used both the gray and the black ones you are talking about and now uses the red BPS Uncle Buck UB 20(I think thats the #) and says they are the best of the 3, they all look the same to me. He says the Shakespear one is a piece of junk also. You have to go to a BPS store to find it as far as I know, have not seen it in their catalog or on line, may try using that #. Wally Marshall has a small baitcaster for crappie fishing but think the price is about $30. Wrong $40, http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58460&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

jigsbydirk
02-06-2006, 02:20 PM
i have both a wally marshal and uncle bucks mini baitcast from BPS and have not experience any problems with either.

bugman
02-06-2006, 02:33 PM
I prefer small spinning reels like bass pro tinylite that sell's for 17.99 or the wally marshall spinning reel for 19.99 they are light and balance well.

HOTSPOT
02-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I posted this over in the NC forum.

I have been using the Shakespeare Synergy Steel reels ever since they came out. I use these on my 13' poles.

I want something smaller and lighter.

Anybody got any comments on these Silstars?

http://photos.imageevent.com/sultansofswat/113boatrodsokumareels/Crappie%20CR-5.jpg

Slab Hunter
02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't use cane poles..... I use um on 12 foot B&M BBUL12's....

Naw, thanks but this isn't for a cane pole.

I'm needing something for B&M 10 footers, they have a reel seat and low profile guides. The little "Shakespere wondereel20" balances great, and does ok until they lock up or the spool rim cracks. They can't take much pressure...heck who am I foolin'...they can't take being used at all.

Fishinwrench
02-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Hotspot, That's more like it ! Those "look" like a better built "line holder", which is basically all those type of reels are.

Who sells those ?

I also wondered if this one was any better...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=20505&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Naixus
02-06-2006, 03:51 PM
My vote on the zebco 11 too. They are small and cheap. No problem at all.

stickum
02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Not sure if you will like this one but it won't cost you anything to take a look.
I use the HT Ultralight MicroFly Reel, I get mine at a local shop but you can order them Dicks Sporting Goods...Click this link to take a look http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-ht-ultralight-microfly-reel--pi-933258.html.
These reels are very small and lightweight.

HOTSPOT
02-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I found a place that sells the Silstars for $7.50.

I also found this reel, but know nothing about it. $7.00.

HT Mini Baitcast Reel. (http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/icereels/029333002512.aspx)

SteveJ
02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Hotspot, That's more like it ! Those "look" like a better built "line holder", which is basically all those type of reels are.

Who sells those ?

I also wondered if this one was any better...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=20505&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I have 2 of those and the bait clicker on top works fine but and a big but the lever on bottom that keeps the spool from turning backward or letting out line does not work right. One of mine will not work at all, can't keep it from turning backward and the other works part time.

Jerry Blake
02-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I've used Shimano AXUL S reels on the poles I use for vertical jigging for years. They are very light and balance well on 10 to 12-foot jig poles. They are getting hard to find - may not be made anymore.

Here's one on Yahoo Auctions:
http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/96268718

huntin-n-fishin
02-06-2006, 08:11 PM
I've had the same problem with the wonder reels. One of them after 3months of use wouldn't wind anymore!:mad: Another one makes this horrible sound when reeling it in and it wont go into freespool. I have finally just stolen a little ultra light spinning reel off of an ultralight bream pole and interchange it. I'm too attached to me money to buy another.:D

Fishinwrench
02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
I apprieciate all the options you guys have given me now...I just need to make a decision. Actually the prices on these type reels are easily affordable enough to buy a few of each and put them to the test...then decide which ones I want to outfit all of my jiggin' poles.
Once again Thank you all !

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
02-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I use the Zebco 11T on my poles. They're cheap, they last, and they don't go click, click, click - I hate that clickin noise! :rolleyes:

HOTSPOT
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I appreciate all the options you guys have given me now...I just need to make a decision. Actually the prices on these type reels are easily affordable enough to buy a few of each and put them to the test...then decide which ones I want to outfit all of my jiggin' poles.
Once again Thank you all !

Please let me know which one you prefer, THANKS!!!

santee crappie chaser
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I go on ebay and buy the old zebco 33's new. They are much better than the new ones. A feathertouch 33 classic is a dream reel for big crappie, they are smooth and cast a long way if needed.

I see 2 and 3 pound crappie here on Santee every year. The zebco 33's are a perfect fit. I have some UL11'S that are tiny triggerpins under the rod. They don't cast far, I don't recommend them for drifting across a big spot in open water and I think a big crappie is a bit much for them. Its sure is fun but if I lose a 2 or 3 pounder because of it, then its not fun.

In open water I use several rods at differnt depths and distances. I must have good casting rods and reels to cover a large area. The old Zebco 33's fit the ticket easy and I don't have to have a lot of sinker weight to cast them really far. I'd rather give up an few fingers than my old zebco 33's.

unknown 5
02-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I would bet if there was any way to prove it that more crappie have been caught on Zebco 33s than all of the rest put together. I go to yard sales in the summer and buy them real cheap like $5 for a rod and 33. They are hard to misuse, they are cheap, and they consistantly work. My buddy has reeled in 20# channel catfish with his Zebco 33s.