Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long line trolling with HH or jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long line trolling with HH or jigs?

I may be making this more complicated than it is but have only tried it a couple of times for a short while with very limited success. I think I know what to do CB pulling and spider-rigging I'm a completely lost with long lining. Any one want to put some info out or show me where to go for some on line? It just seems like a great way to find fish in new waters. Thanks.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 10-20-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Long line trolling is similiar to pulling crankbaits. The difference is your trolling jigs. I'm no expert, but I usually troll two jigs a line, with different baits and color combos. You will need to be able to track your speed, and adjust to what the crappie want. .8mph to 1mph is usually the best for me. I'm still learning, but it does put fish in the boat.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Do a search on "longling". There have been quite a few posts on the subject. The main thing I have found is that it is important to have the right speed, .8 to 1.2, right depth in the water column, use zero lead to 3 #5. Adujst until you find the fish. Follow the other boats until you figure out why they are in a specif area.

I could go on and on, but trial and error is an important factor. Don't give up, it's a great way to catch crappie.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."