Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally Got Some Rain - And A Few Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally Got Some Rain - And A Few Crappie

It's been a long dry spell but we finally got some rain today. The way the radar looked this morning I didn't think we would get to fish much but except for a few sprinkles it all went around us until about 12:30. By then we had everyone's limit and were ready to come in anyway.

Our surface temps are still hovering around 70-degrees but they're starting to stack up in some of our "Fall Feeding Frenzy" holes. Right now we can catch them anywhere from 2-feet deep up in the creek arms to 20-feet deep on main channel points so they're pretty scattered for the most part.

It was easy to tell there was a front coming in today. We had them hitting two and three at a time and the white crappie were making long hard runs and several of them jumped out of the water like they thought they were green carp! My crew were all fishing with shiners and rosey reds but when I finally got the chance I dropped a hair jig in and they jumped all over it too. If the water temps will just fall a little more I think the Fall Feeding Frenzy will be in full swing on Lake Greeson.

Oh, the biggest crappie was only 15.5-inches long but weighed 2-pounds, 2-ounces. It was a male hybrid and hadn't missed any meals in a while for sure. It looked like a February/March, prespawn fish.

Thank goodness for Garmin MyCast. By keeping an eye on the radar and lightning strikes we were able to safely fish through the morning even though we could hear thunder off in the distance.

It will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow after the passing of this front.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to getting back down your way the weekend of November 13th. Sounds like it should be "on" by then. Save my fishing hole for me.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don:

We'll keep them lined up for you. They were still biting today in spite of the cold front.

Our biggest one was 17.5-inches long and weighed 2-pounds, 6-ounces.

FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great bunchs of fish!!!!!!!!!! One of these days I'll get down there

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Same around here Jerry. They are biting anything that hits the water. The bigger slabs have moved up and are taking our offerings quite frequently. They are hitting minnows and a variety of different jigs. The water here is around 62 degrees. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p