Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eight Reds and Five stitches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eight Reds and Five stitches

Hit the north bank of Mud Point (V-Bay) this AM, flinging flies. Released the first three - one too small, two too big. Kept the next five and went home all smug and happy.
    Cleaned four and half of the fifth, the knife then slipped, and I had to call Barb away from her job to take me to the ER. Couldn't drive myself. Five stitches (Along with two Coors, half a bottle of Shiraz, and two cigars) later the blood all over the kitchen has been cleaned up - both mine and the reds, and all is well.
    Sort of - had to cancel a trip tomorrow AM. That's hard to do when you finally get on 'em!
    Pete
    Oh, the moral of this tale?
    Sure glad the filet knife wasn't electric!

docwaldo is offline Moderator LA Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

dude--that stinks!! i'll have to give ys freebird's number so yall can lick ur wounds together. LOL==see pic below!!

doc

Any man can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a DAD!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a fine catch. You sure the Coors and Shiraz came AFTER the accident?:rolleyes::D And the crankbait pic...oooh...that just hurts looking at it. You fellas get well and go back to catching so you can post more fish pictures.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, congrats on the catch and sorry to hear about the battle wound. Now how would that effect you if you were invited to Bundick's? lol... Get better soon so you can get on them again.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your accident sneakypete. Congratulations on the catch. Glad you didn't chop off anything important like your stripping fingers.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing earlier this year, and an older gent idled up to me asking if I knew how to get a hook out. I said what's up, and he showed me, he had a treble hook buried in his thumb very similar to the picture above. I know it hurt like crazy, but I didn't have any wire cutters, only what i use to pull buried hooks out of fish, so he was trying to pull it back out, and I told him it needed to go on thru and then cut the barb off. He didn't want to listen and kept trying pull it out backwards. I finally had to tell him I couldn't help him and suggested he go to the ER. I think he had it buried all the way to the bone and trying to pull it back out. Havent seen him since. Hope the thumb heals quickly.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72 View Post
    Pete, congrats on the catch and sorry to hear about the battle wound. Now how would that effect you if you were invited to Bundick's? lol... Get better soon so you can get on them again.
    Johnny, that would rate as "cruel and unusual punishment"!

Pastor, now that WOULD have been serious, probably demanding a transplant from my right hand!! Not my trigger finger, though!!

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete, sorry to hear that, it's a sickening feeling. I hate to clean red fish and I always use an electric knife because on those heavy duty fish I feel safer using the electric. Less chance of a slip. Hurry up and heal, you're in the peak of the season.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen hooks removed both ways. Pushing through and yanking out. I think the right way is to push the top of the hook, where it connects to the line, against your skin and then yank out. That's supposed to remove the barb from the equation (or at least minimize it's impact). Seen youtube videos with that...sometimes with a fifth of jim beam.

In either case. I don't want to find out if I'm man enough to do it myself or go to the ER.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

MrPaulAR, I used that procedure twice to remove hooks and its simple and easy if you understand the principle of it.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast