Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neon minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neon minnows

has anyone ever tried using neon colored minnows? im talking about actual like bait that is a neon green or orange color. i saw some at the pet store and thought they might work. if you catch them on chartruese jigs y not a chartruese minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i have seen em before. My dad used some last spring in South Carolina. The guy at the bait store told him that you can only get them certain times of the year. I dont remember what color he got but he said that everyone that was using them was doin better than people with reg minnows.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen them but they are pricey around here. Put some chartreuse and flash in your jig and tip with a minnow head. That will get you bit.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny that you mention it......I saw some at a local pet store while out with the wife, and started thinking the same as you. The next time out, I picked some up. They were alot smaller than any minnows you would get at a bait store, but thought I would give em a try anyway. I caught a cooler full of good sized gills on them, but not one crappie. I saw a couple other boats that day fishing with minnows, and catching fish. Started jigging timber with plastics and caught crappie. Trial and error, but I don't think I'll buy them anymore.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

you just gotta find the right time and right place and anything will hit almost anything. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksooner View Post
    has anyone ever tried using neon colored minnows? ... i saw some at the pet store ...
    Are you talking about neon tetras? If so, they're tropical fish and won't live long in water cooler than 70 degrees. I had an aquarium full of them when I was a kid.

As ship says, they are pricey. I can't see how they'd be cost effective when compared to minnows or jigs.

Also, since they are non-native fish, it might be illegal to use them. I'd check your state regs first.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know what kind redneck sooner is talking about but what i was talkin about are real minnows. Not any petstore bought fish. The bait shops sell em for a couple weeks outta the year down in South Carolina.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    i dont know what kind redneck sooner is talking about but what i was talkin about are real minnows. Not any petstore bought fish. The bait shops sell em for a couple weeks outta the year down in South Carolina.
    Are you thinking of rosey reds? Thats pretty much what I bought at the pet store, they are used as feeder fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

maybe, i just talked to my dad, he said the ones he used are red, and can only be bought a few weeks outta the year.

Post Thanks / Like

They were natural in small branches and creek here in Ga. in the Fifties. They would be in schools in 10-12 holes of water. I got this wild idea of selling to a bait store. Seined them up andkept them alive and carried to shop and said they werent shinners and wouldnt buy them. They are beautiful especially in a shallow stream with bright sunlight shinning on them. Look like rainbows. Havent seen them since but havent been back to those streams in 60 yrs. BB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast