Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: about getting started

Post Thanks / Like

Default about getting started

ok so everything ive read so far about DIY plastics is its just as dangrous as pouring lead jigs and baits and its not something i could do in the house it would be something i would have to do in the garage away from the wife and new baby but at least i wouldnt have to worry about the ill effects of lead pouring my own plastics

cause since me and the wife are expecting in the next couple of months im going to try not to pour lead jigs as much and so i was looking at mabey starting to make plastic baits instead and so i've been reading a little here and there trying to figure out how much it will cost me to get started and some how to inject do some molds
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

and then again i might just buy some plastics that the pro (yall) make
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie josh View Post
    ok so everything ive read so far about DIY plastics is its just as dangrous as pouring lead jigs and baits and its not something i could do in the house it would be something i would have to do in the garage away from the wife and new baby but at least i wouldnt have to worry about the ill effects of lead pouring my own plastics

cause since me and the wife are expecting in the next couple of months im going to try not to pour lead jigs as much and so i was looking at mabey starting to make plastic baits instead and so i've been reading a little here and there trying to figure out how much it will cost me to get started and some how to inject do some molds
    it depends on what you want to do in plastics how expensive it might get if you're just wanting to shoot one or two molds you could probably get by pretty easy but it is very addictive once you buy one you got to have more. I started out this last spring and I think I have over 45 molds and I'm still buying some. But it all depends on what you want to do with them or yourself you can get by for a few hundred bucks. Maybe less . One thing you do have to be careful about is I would be in a very ventilated place. I don't think you want to breathe plastic fumes very long as we plan on setting up a blower in my shop , but you will definitely have fun in it is quite fascinating to make something that you will be using yourself to catch fish it gets better after you catch a pilot fish on something that you have made. But I think it is a good hobby and there are many of us on here that enjoy it. We do it is a hobby and is a sideline thing I hope to see you get in it, and posts some your plastic baits on here. We need more people to join the in here to show us what they have available and what they are doing and to share some of their methods and techniques.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

breathing the plastic is dangerous, you either want good ventilation or do it outside. Like snake said, once you start you dont stop.