Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Haven't posted for awhile

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haven't posted for awhile

Hi - Don G., crappiepappy, Gerald C., Roberta, et al.

I haven't been on here for a while, don't know why. I was pretty active here a couple of years ago. I thought I'd see if my password still works, and it does.

I've had some good winter trips on Tablerock Lake here in Mo. The unseasonable warm winter weather got the crappie going in January. Now it's turned cold again, and I'm waiting for another warm up and looking forward to the spring spawn.

Here's a good photo I took of 12 1/2" white and black crappies when I was cleaning fish a couple of weeks ago. The white crappie is at the top, of course, and the picture sure shows the differences between the species.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Sam

Good to see you back posting...I've been trying to keep Gerald straight while you've been gone...lol...Nice looking catch too.

We are heading out this morning for MS....Going to see a friend that's not doing well and to pick up a boat...Will try to wet a line while we're there...

Take care and don't be gone so long...Really enjoy reading your post.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Hi Sam ...

glad to see you back on the board. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Take care, and keep in touch ........... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. It's good to be back.

Question: Here's something I haven't really noticed except by looking at the photo I posted, above. It looks to me like the white crappie has a tail with two separate lobes, or fins - while the black crappie's tail is one piece, squared off.

I never count dorsal fins to tell the difference between the species. I always just go by the specks on the fish's side - no pattern on a black crappie, and vertical stripes on a white crappie. The black crappies also have a blunter "nose", and they're built more stocky and heavier than a white crappie of the same length.

What do you think about the difference in the tail, though? Is that just the two fish in the photo, or is that another difference to look for between the two kinds of crappies?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Sam ....

I think the "split" tail on the White Crappie is just "damage" .... maybe some old "war wounds" that haven't healed (or healed back without connecting). Both species, when in "perfect" condition, have the same shape of tail.
    (notice too that the Black Crappie has some "chunks" out of the membrane of its tail, as well) ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

i have never really tried to figure out the difference.As long as I can get them in the boat they all eat the same.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I was told this by a crappie guide- An 8-ball on a pool table is black- therefore black crappie have 8 (or 7) dorsal fin spines. The whites have fewer- 5-6 spines on the dorsal fin. Its always good to know at least a little about what you are fishing for.