Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing fishing knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sharing fishing knowledge

I've always respected guys who know a lake or just flat know how to fish that are willing to help others learn to catch them. I've seen people here and other places give out spots, lure information, depth etc. with no expectation of payback. Nice!

I'm not a good enough fisherman and I don't know any lakes well enough to be a source of information to anybody but a rank newbie. That changed last week. A younger guy at the campground saw my Lowrance units on my boat, and asked if I could show him how to enter a waypoint in his 332C. He had some spots from somebody else, but he had only had the boat a couple of months and didn't know how to use them very well yet.

I showed him how to enter the coordinates, answered a few more questions, then suggested we take the boat out in the bay so I could show him on the water. He was like a kid with a new toy when I showed him a brushpile in the bay mouth, entered a new waypoint, then showed him how to navigate back to it. He dropped me off at the dock, and went back out to drive in circles until dark:D

Dang near as much fun as catching fish! Clued him in about CDC as well, so we may see him here.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Catfan. There is something to be said about guys who go out of there way to help out a fellow fisherman.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Feels good, don;t it. I went from never fishing for crappie in my life a little over 2 years ago to now a few people asking me how to catch them. If I'd have never found CDC, I wouldn't have caught nearly as many Crappie as I have. My freezer runneth over now adays and I pass on knowledge when I get the chance
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

Ever heard of our club down here?
    Crappie Anglers of Texas
    3 years old now and over 300 members.
    It was based on teaching folks to catch crappie.
    I thought I was a good fisherman until I joined this club.
    Now I have confidence on any lake any time of the year.
    We started videoing the seminars, we have every month, the second year.
    It's worth joining just to be able to watch them online.

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job. It always makes you feel good when you can help others. To bad that more people don't do it. Thank god for C.C. Wealth of info and great fellowship.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckauten View Post
    Good job. It always makes you feel good when you can help others. To bad that more people don't do it. Thank god for C.C. Wealth of info and great fellowship.

Chuck
    Ditto that. Whether it's a youngster or someone who happens to be your father... helping out a fellow angler provides a great feeling of personal satisfaction. (My dad's not been fishing much since he was 13 in North Dakota, so I've been reteaching him all sorts of info this summer).

I'll never give up a spot, simply because I don't believe that is in the "spirit" of it. If you wanna come out with me you might fish some of my spots, but you'll never know that they're my spots. I'll never ask you for spots either, but will likely ask the all important questions... How deep? What color? Granted there are exceptions to this rule and I have given out a general location, but that's simply because this spot is a park where a creek (rice creek) enters a river (good ole Mississippi) just north of a city (Minneapolis). (Menomin park). This is a spot i will give readily simply because there's about a mile of creek shore to try out, and over a mile north or south of river shore to try out... and I'll even say "look to the backwater near the last bend of the creek" or "look for the upwells" and say that Jigs and minnows work well, as do drop shots.

Giving up spots is teaching someone how to catch. Giving up structure and techniques, well that's teachin someone to fish.

And of course CC has been invaluable as far as my personal knowledge base is concerned... I'll be using it much more the next few seasons as i get into the jig/lure making bit. My buddies often joke that I have a masters in fishing now.

Thanks all for the help... tight lines

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Catfan.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!!
    I know how you feel. I can be in a sporting good store every now and then and have someone come up to me that has no clue how to fish to ask me a question. I get more enjoyment out of telling them what I feel they need than catching fish anyday.
    If school was about learning how to fish I would be a teacher and never want to leave

Post Thanks / Like

atta boy catfan, we all need help with somethings, good job.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what it's all about. I moved from FL to TN and couldn't catch a cold. Some folks out here put me in their boat and educated me and now it's my turn. I give up a spot or two, but mostly I try to get folks to see how I'm fishing, not where. The smile on their faces when the light comes on is cool beyond words.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast