Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckhorn Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buckhorn Lake

Hi everyone! I'm Matt, coming in from Manchester, Kentucky (Clay County), and this is my first time posting here. So, I've read the latest issue of Kentucky Game & Fish magazine and they have given Buckhorn Lake in Leslie & Perry counties the title of "Best Early Season Crappie Lake." Anyone have any experience with fishing for crappie on Buckhorn? I only live about 45 minutes from there, so I will probably be giving it a shot whenever the first big warm front comes in. I'm a little skeptical, because all I've heard about Buckhorn is MUSKY MUSKY MUSKY. And oh, by the way, anyone have any insight on good crappie artificials for KY crappie?
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt
    Buckorn Lake has in the past produced good crappie. Rainfall can really effect this lake more than most lakes. Right now launching a boat may be difficult due to low winter pool level. Locating some brush on the lower lake area should be good but as the lake level rises I would move up into the mid/upper lake area.

Bill (Team Keelshield)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Matt ...

Quote Originally Posted by mattcombs
    And oh, by the way, anyone have any insight on good crappie artificials for KY crappie?
    Here's a copy of a previous post of mine, that may get you started in the right direction:

open water casting - 1/32oz Roadrunner (1-6ft) 1/16oz Roadrunner (6-15ft)
    wood cover casting - 1/32-1/16oz weedless jighead & 1.5" tube body or Panfish Assassin
    dock shooting - 1/32-1/16oz weedless jighead & Panfish Assassin
    vertical casting - 1/16oz marabou jig
    vertical tightline - #4 Gremlin clamp-on sinker, #1 Eagle Claw light wire bronze hook, lively minnow - Shad - Brook Silverside

That's about all the methods I employ, on any routine basis

Colors change ... but, White - Pink - Chartreuse are hard to beat (and most any other color w/Chartreuse !!)

The great thing about Crappie, is they'll hit some of the most mundane baits ... and some of the "purtiest" baits ... and some of the most butt ugly baits ... big baits ... little tiny baits ... live bait ... recently deceased bait ... and so on .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fished Buckhorn but I know a few guys that do and they catch a few fish.I mainly fish Carr Creek lake. There are some pretty good fishin in the little ol lake !!! There are some monster walleye in this lake....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Slabseeker...you have a PM
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

New to the board....how does this pm work

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Slabseeker ...

Quote Originally Posted by KY SLABSEEKER
    New to the board....how does this pm work
    Look at the far right corner of this board - you should see "Welcome, Slabseeker" ... you last visited at xxxx - and Private Messages should be a blue lettered link. Right next to that is Unread x, Total xx ... If you have a PM that you have not read ... "Unread" should tell you how many you have. "Total" tells you how many you have read, that are still accessable and have not yet been deleted.
    Click on the Private Messages link, and it will take you to your PM screen ... from there it's pretty much like Email. If you want to send a PM to another member ... click on their screen name in any post/thread. A drop down box should come out .. and you can choose to look at the members profile, send a PM, send a email, find all posts by that member, etc. If the member doesn't want PM's or Email ... it will alert you to that fact.

If you have an email account, and want to be notified there, when you have a PM on here ... go to your "User CP" (first option on the black line above this thread) -- click on the "User CP" and look on the left side bar, under Control Panel -- under settings & options, click on Edit options. On that page ... look for "Messaging & Notification" box - put check marks in all boxes in that catagory, that you want the site's system to do for you. It won't transfer the PM to your email page ... it will just tell you that you HAVE a PM from whomever. You can click on the link, in the notice, and it will bring you here (to your PM page). ............. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info CP....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Current conditions

Does anyone on here live near Buckhorn Lake? I will probably be going to the Leatherwood dock as soon as we get a good warm front through SE KY. Would love to find out some information about the current water level of the lake.
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Buckhorn all the time when I go back to ky to visit. I'm a santee guy now. kenfolk live just a few miles from the dam.

I would be focusing on the area down by the dam, thats where the wood and junk gather up and should be holding the crappie this early. I don't know what the current lake level is but it should be (as always this time of year) at winter pool. This is a good lake and its worth going, even if you can't find the fish you get to see what it looks like at the winter pool because in the spring when the water comes back up, you'll be fishing what now should be dry. Buckhorns a good lake for bass, crappie, bluegill and them teethy fish. I always fish around the dam area, I think it produces more fish than any other area on the lake. specially Bass and they love PB&J senko's.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-11-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast