Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling for Crappie

Was wondering about what kind of pole one would use for trolling bandits ? Not much into the trolling but It's time I learned. Had the opportunity to watch Jigging15 troll jigs and was trying that myself ( spider rigged ) sort of and wasn't bad but I went back to one pole and dabbin, at least I think that's what they call it. I use 10' B&M with 8-10 lb. I'm thinking these rods are a little to soft for cranks, Suggestion's ?
    I Don't Know,but I can always use help

Post Thanks / Like

You'll get a multitude of answers on rods and preference but i personally like a soft enough tip so i can see the vibration from the crankbait,i'll use any light to medium action rod as long as i get plenty of spread when pulling 3 on each side for example 12' front 10' middle and 8' back works well for me.

PS. one of my rods is a 10' b&m jigpole and it works just fine.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'll have to go buy me some Bandit's and give it a try, as far as rods, there all 10' have about 6 I think, but only one 4 pole holder. I think thats enough for me, don't think I could handle more than 4 at a time and then there's lakes where your limited anyway.
    I Don't Know,but I can always use help

Post Thanks / Like

I just use my bass rods and built a rod holder that goes across the back of my boat that will hold 8 rods though we only use 4, that's more than enough action. Been pulling cranks for a couple of years now and it produces some BIG fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12' BnM Pro Staff trolling rods. Used them last year at Grenada pulling cranks and they worked great. Plus if you decide to longline or spider rig just change out your tackle and go.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use a spider rig and have brackets on the front and back of the boat. Usually use my bass rods and wiggle warts. Trolled Truman this summer and caught a lot of whites, some crappie, a 4lb walleye and a 25lb blue cat. It's a great way to fish and cover a lot of water.

Post Thanks / Like

BnM Pro Staff Trollers
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the B'n'M pro staff trolling rods for everything. Slow troll minnow rigs and jigs in spring with them. Then push cranks out the front of the boat in summer time then back to slow trolling fall and winter. Caught lots of fish last winter spider rigging. So they are sensitive enough for feeling light bites and strong enough for pushing cranks with 3 oz weights.

Post Thanks / Like

When pushing cranks do you use a 3 way swivel, weight on the bottom, and leader to crank bait, if so how long of leader? Thankshttp://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/smilies/confused.png

Post Thanks / Like

I have ozark,b&m and wally trolling poles and they are the 12' poles i use but are a bit stiffer than the others and make it a lot harder to see the tips vibrate.I've played with pushing some and i used a 2oz egg sinker on my main line,a barrell swivel with a 2' leader to a snap swivel to the crank.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast