Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: TN River Crappies & Current

Post Thanks / Like

Default TN River Crappies & Current

I do most of my fishing in the Tennessee River, which has a lot of lakes associated with it, but I prefer staying in the river. A lot of my preferred areas that produce frequently are located on or at the river channel. Depending on wind and current, being generated by TVA, at times, especially in the fall, my preferred areas do not produce. I know the fish don't completely vacate the area, but on high water release days, they are impossible to catch. Where do they go? What should I be looking for on days like this?

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

I only fish the Tn river, but don't know how to fish the main channel for crappies. I do the usual creek fishing....throwing jigs at every stick. How do you fish for them on the main channel??
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

I like to fish the main channel in near flood conditions. Fishing about 2-3 feet deep right up against the bank in eddies...works every time.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to find where the main river channel comes close (15-25 feet) to the existing river bank. I find the drop off point, where it drops quick, usually the area I fish, it is around 15-20 feet and then falls off quick to river channel bottom. I stay on this drop line and have had a lot of success in fall and winter catching crappie suspended at the break point.

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TN Slab Chaser View Post
    I try to find where the main river channel comes close (15-25 feet) to the existing river bank. I find the drop off point, where it drops quick, usually the area I fish, it is around 15-20 feet and then falls off quick to river channel bottom. I stay on this drop line and have had a lot of success in fall and winter catching crappie suspended at the break point.
    Cool. Good info.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Tellico Lake 100% of the time (convenience) and the fish are always in the main channels of all the coves I hit, and the main channel, can be anywhere from 5' down to bottom, which can be really really deep in spots, but its such a heavily used lake that its hard to find a calm section so the waves don't rock me right out of the boat. I have had good luck (open for interpretation of what good luck is) right in front of the ramp where I put in at, so go figure.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.