Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reels on trolling rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels on trolling rods

Just got 2 new Westpoint BNM trolling rods. SWEET. Now I am trying to decide what type of reel to put on them, Casting or Spinning. Advice please.

Redman

Post Thanks / Like

If your going to pull cranks I'd use the okuma line counters, if your spider rigging than I feel just alittle bait caster like the Wally Marshall tight line is fine, however some use their line counters for spider rigging but they are heavy. Everyone has their own idea, heck if your spider rigging any reel will will work. Really depends on what kind of trolling your doing. If your going to get the line counters here is a place that the price is hard to beat--http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com
    Last edited by longliner; 10-17-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

we use baitcasters on all our slow trolling rods, not mini "crappie" reels, real bass style baitcasters, if you insist on a mini reel, longliner's right, the wally tight line is the best, and you can't beat that price on the okumas, a must if your pullin, but putting little cheap "crappie" reels on trolling rods will usually cost you time, money, and hair!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

for long line trolling jigs I like small spinning reels because you can just slip I rubber band on the spool when you start to reel in a fish. Then all you do is cast it back out and the rubber band will put your jig back to the same depth. poor man line counter
    those line counter reels are nice and I would have bought them if they were priced lower.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice. I will start out with the small spinning reels and try the rubber band Idea. I do mostly long line trolling and it sounds like the best and least expensive way to go for the time being. Again thank you for the advice.

Redman

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling reels

I prefer using bait casting reels that have the ability to engage the reel by lifting the thumb bar. This allows you to let line in and out with one hand while the rod remains in the holder.