Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing Jigs or longline trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing Jigs or longline trolling?

I am new to Crappie fishing but have done alot of other kinds of fishing, I was wondering when pushing with spider rig at front of boat what technique is better tight lining with sinker weight on bottom and two jigs spaced 24" apart above them or just certain depth with no sinker weight on bottom and only the jigs spaced apart? I will be fishing Jiffy Jigs and Hal Fly jigs I guess. I was just wondering how you kept jigs straight down without them coming back towards the boat? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated and used. Also any information on long line trolling out back or vertical trolling off side if any one has ideas or helpful information for a rookie at this. I have 4 sets of 4 rod holders 8 out back and 8 up front. thanks so much for any help possible. Also what determines if longline trolling or pushing spider rig is best?

Post Thanks / Like

Also if anyone wants to go and show me that are in the Middle Georgia area, the lakes I will be fishing are Sinclair, Blackshear, and Tobosofkee would be glad to have a veteran crappie fisherman give me some knowledge. I will provide boat, gas for boat, minnows if needed and some jigs and a free ride if we can hook up on one of my off days? The only thing I want have is enough rods for front and back right now I only will have 7 or 8 of them.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lawdawg, I do it a bit different than most, but it works real good for me. Let me say first that I use this in low or no wind condition. First, drop a marker on the piece of structure to fish. For the rig I use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig on the end of the line. Plastic so I can change color, then tip with a minnow. I set up all the rods, then move at a crawl to the structure. This doesn't sound like much, but I can barely keep up with 4 rods when it's hoppin. 2 hooks or jigs uses lots of minnows and gets frustrating when you're getting stripe or gills or whatever. I'm about to try a light jig or Wooly bugger on a dropper about 18" up the line, but will still only tip the jig on the end of the line. The sports place in Perry at the 136 exit by wal mart has a bunch of rods. Not the cheapest but it's fairly close to you. I use 10' and 12' rods, and forgot them one day and did well with the 4 - 7' that stay in the boat. Run what you brung. Good luck and enjoy this new technique, I have.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pix of the rig I use spider-rigging to keep my lure more vertical. That is an 1/4 oz weight with a rubber band thru it, you can move it up or down your line as needed plus when moving with the big motor just pull it down to the lure and you don't have any loose line. Down side, not to me, is only one lure, guess you could modify it for 2 lures. Added benefit when hung up if it is not deeper than your pole you can push the weight down to the jig and maybe get it back.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 10-17-2010 at 08:18 AM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the same rig almost as stevej........no rubber band I loop the line 4 times through the egg sinker and leave a 15 inch tag line and tie a 1/8 oz. jig on it......I have a second 1/8 oz.jig 15 inches above the egg sinker tied with a loop knot. Now this is for pushing off the front ( spider rigging...slow vertical trolling)....You can also use this rig off the back of the boat. Now if you want to longline then all you need is one jig tied to the end of your line....longlining is a technique all its own.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much that was real helpful the rubber band and also the line looping method. I am from Warner robins so use Sportscenter alot anyway I bought 6 rods from Sportscenter already the cheap ones though. 2 12's, 2 10's and 2 8's.

Post Thanks / Like

I run my line through a 1/4 oz egg sinker like G3 does. Steve won't tell me how he gets the rubber band in his. LOL Just keep playing with your technique LawDawg and you'll find what works best for you.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
    I run my line through a 1/4 oz egg sinker like G3 does. Steve won't tell me how he gets the rubber band in his. LOL Just keep playing with your technique LawDawg and you'll find what works best for you.
    Now Scott you have never asked, just loop a short line doubled thru the hole and cut the rubber band and run it thru the loop and pull.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I like learning new ways and really enjoy post like this! Thanks Guys
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Skeetbum, Steve J, G3, Scott V! Thanks so much these ideas are really helpful for a rookie. Now I need to figure how to work my aerated minnow bucket system on my boat. I have never used them. The 2 aerated livewells work fine , but having problem with minnow bucket. It has 2 holes below bucket and 2 inlets at top. one of the top inlets has a cutoff valve for some reason. I have a Bass Tracker Pro Crappie 175. If anyone has same model let me know. Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast