Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Line On Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Line On Reel

Is it any good way to put line on a reel? I seem to get my line all curled up to fast. I am using 6lb line on the ultra lites i like using. I want to put new line on about 4 of the reels and if anyone has any suggestions on putting this on and maybe where the line stays straighter for longer would help.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The rule with spinning and spin-cast reels is, always put the line on the same way it comes off the spool. Now sometimes when a spool diameter is a lot larger then the reel spool, the line will start to curl on you. When that happens turn the spool over for a bit and then check it again. I should start be straighter then. On a few of my ultra lites I may have to do this a few times.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

When I put the line on my reels I use a damp cloth held in my hand right before the reel and run the line thru it as I crank the reel. I try to get as much of the chaulk off of the line as I can. Do not over fill the spool. You need to only fill the spool to within 1/8th of an inch of the lip. If you are in the boat on the water, drop your line spool in the water and then reel in on the reel spool that way.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Concord N,C home lake, High Rock, tuckertown
    Post Thanks / Like

Bingo, Ive heard that if you want to get the line twist out you want to take if off of the spool like you want it to go on the reel, meaning if you are putting it on a spinning reel lay the spool flat on the ground, thread line through the eyes onto the reel and put it on the spool, baitcast reels i run a pencil through the spool get someone to hold both ends of the pencil and proceed to put the line on the reel, also if the line gets twist you can also spray the spool with blakemores line magic or wd-40, this works just as good ive used it . line preferince is up to you but i really like suffix siege in 6 or 8 lb test, I hope i didnt confuse you and this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike
    The rule with spinning and spin-cast reels is, always put the line on the same way it comes off the spool. Now sometimes when a spool diameter is a lot larger then the reel spool, the line will start to curl on you. When that happens turn the spool over for a bit and then check it again. I should start be straighter then. On a few of my ultra lites I may have to do this a few times.
    I do the same thing. Lay the spool flat and wind up 15 or 20 times. Let some slack in you line and see if it curles together. If it does then just turn the spool of line over. Try Reel Magic, it is some great stuff. It will keep the line soft and take some of the memory out.

BUZZZZ

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Bingo .... (my opinion)

if the UL's ,you like to use, have small diameter spools ... 6lb mono may be too "big" for them. The stiffer the mono, the less chance it will lay on the reel spool and not "jump off" in coils, when opening the bail. You may have to go down to 4lb test.

It's suggested that you lay the line spool flat, and run the line thru a few guides, then tie to your reel spool (don't forget to open the bail first !!). Close bail by hand, then crank handle a few times (provide tension on the incoming line, with the thumb & forefinger of the hand holding the rod). If the line begins to twist or the normal coils start to increase in number, stop reeling and flip line spool over. Then continue to crank the handle until reel spool is 9/10 full. Cut line in front of reel bail, open bail and thread line thru guides and out the tip eye. Attach bait or retainer to tag end of line, and secure to hook retainer (in the event you don't have a hook retainer on your rod, attach it to some other non-moving part of the rod/reel - don't hook it in the guide eyes, as this may create a scratch in the guide inserts. Hook it to the "foot" (support) of the guide, if necessary ... but, keep the line tension at a minimum, if you do).

One way to either fix the line springing off the reel, or tell if the line is too stiff (too heavy pound test) to use on the reel ... is to put the line on the reel, as suggested above, then take reel outside and drag 1/2-2/3 of the line off the reel ... walking around the yard, and letting the line lay in the grass. Put thumb/finger tension on the incoming line, between the reel and closest guide ... and reel the line back onto the reel. If line continues to jump off the reel, when bail is opened ... line is either too stiff, too heavy pound test, or reel spool is too full.
    Stiff lines, like ... some hi-vis/colored lines, XT lines, flurocarbon, and "no stretch" supermono's may not be usable on the UL small diameter reel spools. The limpest version mono you can find, in the brand of your choice, or a small diameter braid may be a better option.

I wouldn't use WD-40 on mono ... it's a petroleum based product, and may weaken the line. Reel Magic is silicone based, and has UV protectants. It will make your line slicker (giving you a little more distance on your cast), but I don't really know if it actually makes the line "softer/limper" (as suggested by the mfg).

Just MHO ............ luck2ya ..... cp

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain pal. Looks like Superbowl sunday is a great day to spool lines. That is what I was doing one year ago today. Here is the thread.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ht=moon+dayton

Good luck with the reels.

Dayton

Concord N,C home lake, High Rock, tuckertown
    Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy, thanks for the insight on the wd-40, never thought about it being petroluem based, never had problems with it before, ill start back on the line magic now!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a can of Preston Silicone lubricant High Viscosity formula, wonder how that would work?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the information. The little ultra lite reels are Zebco 11 Legacy and Zebco 11 Platinum. They did come with 4lb test and i have always changed them to 6lb test. I have bought Stren and i forget the other but it is also a popular brand. I love those little reels and another problem could be that i will use them pan fishing for bream, red ears, crappie, jigs or live bait and then sometimes i will put a small worm or a Heddon Mini Torpedo(top water) to catch a bass. So i give them a workout and going from a light jig to a heavier top water is probably not good for it also and makes it hard on the line.

These are small spincast reels. I think the new ones have 3 bearings(the gold or platinum) and the older Legacy 11 i think has one but i have had good luck on all of these. I use that 6lb test because i do bass fish with these some. Thanks again for all the great information all of you have given me and i'll start soon putting new line on. It's been a year or two since i put new on these and i give them a workout. I use this same 6lb test on 10 foot b&m crappie pole or 10ft outlaw pole. Both of those rigs, i do not cast. They are for verticle fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast