Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lantern question

Post Thanks / Like

Default lantern question

hey everybody never been night stalking or even own a lantern before trying to buy a little along i have two underwater lights now i need to light the boat what do you think of the rechargeable ones verses the duel fuel and what about the black lights
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Any kind of light will do as long as the batteries will last say, 4 or 5 hours and you see well with it. If you will check out Rango's nightstalking article in the "Articles" section he has a great idea using clamp on lights on a 12 volt battery. They are fairly inexpensive and work great, but you'll need another battery.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink neatest thing I've seen ....

Quote Originally Posted by painterfish
    hey everybody never been night stalking or even own a lantern before trying to buy a little along i have two underwater lights now i need to light the boat what do you think of the rechargeable ones verses the duel fuel and what about the black lights
    was a tall hanger pole ..... Guy I met on the lake one night, had a long metal pole mounted in a couple of U-clamps, screwed to the side of his console. Top of the pole was bent so that he could hang a Coleman fuel 2mantel lantern on it. This lit up the boat well enough to see, and a large area around the boat. It also kept the bugs well above him.

Black lights won't light up the interior of the boat well enough to see what you are doing ... they're also bad for your eyes, if you look at them for extended periods. Replacing the "blacklight" bulb, with a 12V "whitelight" bulb will give you plenty of light, and you can brighten or dim them (if your blacklight system has a rheostat (dimmer) knob. They don't draw much amperage, either.

Lanterns run by fuel are cheaper to operate, in the long run ... but, are inherently more dangerous -- they are, after all, an open flame encased in glass - fuel is under pressure - they get hot and can inflict some nasty burns or even set things ablaze.

Lanterns run by 9V battery are going to require constant re-purchasing or re-charging of the batteries ... so they are a bit more expensive overall, but quite a bit safer to operate.

Any light will draw bugs ... and the closer you are to the light, the more chance those bugs will be in your face & ears Most of them are just a nuisance, but Mosquito's are a whole other matter. I always take a bug repellant (with DEET).

Another item that I always take along, is a portable jumper battery. They come in handy, and good ones can be found on sale for <$40. I've used them to jump my truck (battery failure), run my blacklights & spotlight, jumpstart boat (battery used too low to start outboard), and start/run truck to/from work/home & from lake to nearest battery store (failed alternator). They're rechargeable, and portable. They're also good for jumpstarting other peoples vehicles/boats, without the risk of draining your vehicle/boat battery, in the process !! I keep one in the truck, and I have a second one for the boat .... they're well over 5yrs old, and still going strong.

I don't do much nightstalking, these days ... so, these comments come from some of my past experiences. ...... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy and gabowman very good ideas you cant beat experience it means a lot to me for you guys to share it thanks
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

right now i use a coleman lantern on the front mounted on a 3/4 in conduit with a hook at the top to hold the lantern. i drilled a hole in the conduit where the top of the lantern tank is and put a piece of 1/8th inch rope there to tie the lantern to the pole.. if you dont secure the lantern, its gonna swing and bounce around which aint good for you or the lantern. at times i use clamp on lights if i know its not gona be a long stalk. on longer stalks i use two propane lanterns mounted above the console, one angled forward and one angled to the rear. the lanterns are attached to a 20 lb propane tank with a t connectore so i can use two lanterns at once on the same tank.. i use the lanterns on the longer stalks to keep from killing my light batteries with so many lights runnin on em. i carry 4 deep cycles and the crankin batt.i use the cranking batt for nothing but cranking and the running lights. we also carry spare 1 lb cans of propane for use if needed. I carry three northstar lanterns stored in a cooler i keep in storage under the back bench seat of the boat. the lanterns stay on the boat all the time, along with my submersible and clamp on lights which i keep in a green plastic ammo can type box thats stored with the lanterns in the rear bench seat..
    Last edited by rango; 02-05-2006 at 11:54 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

My God Rango, what do you fish out of, a barge? :D
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I use a two mantle Colman that gives good light and runs for hours on half a tank of gas. I have a Threaded 1/2 inch pipe nipple welded to the bottom of a 6 foot piece of 3/4 in conduit. In my Fiberglass Skeeter I have a three inch 1/2 pipe flange screwed to the floor behind the seat. Pipe just screws in. In my little boat I have two pipe straps/clamps mounted behind the bench seat so the same pole can slip in. The conduit has a slot cut in the top for the top bail to hook into. I have a bent 1/2 inch by two inch strap with hose clamp that silps into the bottom of the lantern to keep it from swinging around. Been using it for thee years with no problems. Keeps the light out of your eyes and as long as I have gas and an extra mantle, or two, it never fails to work. seeya, Don

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing is a heat lamp frame without the heat lamp. Put a 40 watt RV bulb in that . I have a stand made out of SQ tubing 3/4" on the bottom 4ft tall then a 1/2" piece in that that is 4' tall then a 1/4" that is 4ft tall that gives me close to 11ft tack welded nuts after drilling 5/16" holes. Then a 5/16" bolt is run thought the bolt. the bolts allow me to adjust the hight of the light. Place a long cord on the light and hook to the batter. Also I have my anchor light on top of mine. Allows me to get all the bugs out of my way in warm weather.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have similar set up to rangos but I will tell you that the light for the comeman is to much for me. It kills your night vision, and just makes to much light in the boat for my liking, though I still use them. We just make a sheild so to speak so it blocks the light in your eyes but makes great light to see your lines and enough light to tie a hook.
    If you are fishing from a toon you can set the lantern up on top of the roof or deck of the boat and the light will work great for seeing rod tips but again it doesent blind you. Plus you can run with it up there and see bouy markers or the shoreline hundereds of yards away and agian with out the light from the latern burning your retinas. It's also a plus when you have that much light out in the event you run accross another boater thats overmedicated.
    Take care and keep us posted on your night fishing results.
    Just MAKE SURE you have your lightsource firmly attached to the boat. If you securely mount the "sheppards hook" and make sure the light doesent swing you should be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike
    My God Rango, what do you fish out of, a barge? :D
    i fish out of a 20 ft sea ark. plenty of room for all our equipment and 4 or 5 people.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast