Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whites aka Sandies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whites aka Sandies

Smedley, I cleaned the crappie first and then I got to the White, It had some red areas in the flesh and it was not blood. The flesh color was kind of like trout or steelies. Is this normal? It appeared to be along the center line of the meat. Oh and by the way, I had to clean them the very hard way. I misplaced my board and knife so I had to use the emergency knife from my Tackle box, which is only about four inches long. Boy, that was fun. Anyway, at least I have something in the freezer. How did the marina work out? I am scheeming for next week, I have to go to San Antone Thursday night, but I will be back early Friday morning so I may go Friday around noonish. Hope you filled your cooler. Take Care, TF

Post Thanks / Like

I used to lay the fillet skin side up (skin removed) and with the fillet knife cut
    from the top and bottom towards the middle, shaving that red portion out. If you have ever had a salmon fillet it is the same as the thin layer of meat next to the skin-cooks up grayish/tan and mushy. I have noticed catfish get
    fatty like that when they get above a few lbs also. Didn't mean to butt in the post but have cleaned many whites.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that's why we post here, for everyone to have a chance for a comment. thanks. So, the red portion doesn't taste like chicken I suppose. LOL, I will see if I can thinly take that part out. It's definitely not a crappie filet. Take Care, TF

Post Thanks / Like

I lay the fillet flat skin side down and cut it in half lengthwise. You'll have a thicker piece and the thinner piece. turn them over and hold your knife at an angle and cut the red stuff out. Now you have a white bass "back strap", and some rib meat. My wifey likes them because they get crispier when you release them to the grease. get you some Texas Peete hot sauce and mix it 50/50 with water and soak them for a couple of minutes before hitting them with the cornmeal.

I struck out at the marina..didn't stay too long. got over to the ramp and drifted back and forth and immediately started catching hybrids. i caught about 10 or 12 of them. All were 16 to 17.5 inches. Ended up with 4 whites no crappie.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Smedley, glad to see the report. It's maybe a little early for the crappie..."about 2 weeks too early"(inside joke a friend of mine would always say after blanking on crappie) Anyway....I saw where you mentioned in an earlier post about fishing for crappie about 10 ft. deep because of the clear water...that's what I liked about Owl and Stampede creeks, they are always a little off color even when you fish about a foot deep during the spawn.
    You guys sound like you're having fun with the whites/hybrids! Good luck!!!!
    :D Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot something...you got mail.
    :D Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Save time and toss 'em back to catch again. Ya gotta be real hungry to eat a White Bass! Too strong for me, even with the yellow meat removed. Keep the Yellows and Crappie. I fished with Mark Robnison Saturday and we caught over 75 Whites in five hours. We also had 7 nice Yellow bass and 8 Crappie that we kept and had for supper. I love to catch those Whites though! seeya, Don

www.toledobendlodge.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you guy try this and you wont be throwing them back. Got the recipie from Jerry Blakes website and I love it. No to mention you can cook fish for guest and dont have to waste your hard earned crappie on them.
    Another thing if someone you dont like is bugging you for fish you can give them the whites and you dont even have to cut out the red meat.
    Try it and enjoy

Bacon-Wrapped Fish

Cut Black Bass, White Bass, Hybrid White Bass or Striper fillets into about 1/2" x 1"nuggets

Marinate nuggets several hours or overnight in Zesty Italian Salad Dressing

Cut a package of Hickory Smoked Bacon into thirds so each strip makes three short pieces

Wrap each nugget with a piece of bacon and skew with a toothpick

Place nuggets on a broiler pan and bake at 425 degrees for ten minutes then turn over and bake 10-minutes more

SERVE HOT AS AN APPETIZER OR SIDE DISH

Reheat leftovers in 375-degree toaster oven for about 5-minutes

Post Thanks / Like

^^^

Man that recipe seems like it is more work than actually catching some crappie or catfish in the first place. :D

I used to eat white bass before I started crappie fishing or catfishing. I thought folks were crazy for not eating them because they seemed fine to me. And they probably are if you fry them and drink enough beer but, I try not to do to much of either now-days so, I toss 'em back.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can remember, my dad never kept the Sand Bass, he just liked to catch them. I can't remember if I have eaten any back as a youth. I guess I will try at least once since it appears that about 50/50 split on the forum whether to eat or throw back. Are they too gamey or what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast