Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tournament culling system???

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tournament culling system???

What do you guys use to mark your fish in the livewell for easy referance later to cull the smallest later. I have been using the Berkley clips and scales that tells you which color tag to put on the fish as you catch them. It keeps track of eight fish. When the 9th fish is caught and weighed it tells you the color of the smallest of the eight. So you cull that fish and then put that clip in the one you just caughts mouth. pretty neat system and weighs by the 1/4 of an oz. The problem and the reason I am asking is that the digital scales take 3 little watch batteries and the do not last. They are hard to find and not cheap to replace all the time. So I am looking for another option and wanting to know what all you guys use.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be curious to see some of the answers to this question too. Right now I use the old carpenters method and eyeball it, lol. Definitely not precise or effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use a culling beam for the final two fish if they both read the same on the digital scales. But when only allowed 8 fish in the livewell it takes a good system to keep them straight or you can waste a lot of time culling fish throughout the day.

Post Thanks / Like

It don't take me long, I never have 7 caught until 2 pm anyway..........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I've been through 3 digital handheld scales in the last year. Getting tired of them, but never had a culling system. Did some searching around and found the xtools pro series culling system online for 35.00 which was 80.00 less then anyone else had it.

We'll see. Gonna give it a try.

Here's the site in case anyone else is looking. XTOOLS GripNweigh Pro Digital Scale w/ Culling Kit

Post Thanks / Like

They are expensive but work great and very accurate.

Culmrite
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Got to agree with mr. baker. We have one too and it works great.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't found the Rapala and Berkley (they look the same) to eat batteries that bad but then again I'm like Monty and don't catch many fish. Had the Berkley for 10 years on the same battery, not even sure what it takes for replacements cause assumed long ago would just pitch it when goes south. The wife has used it more than I do for her projects so it hasn't sit totally idle.

Last CDC I used the "Lenny" system,,,,it doesn't require batteries but tends to make a lot of noise while it's calculating and sorting. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I used the berkley. Worked great and batteries are 2 years old. Also like the clips with a colored string, seem to let the fish swin naturally in live well and easy to remove and clip on
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)

Post Thanks / Like

I like mine also but can not get the little watch type batteries to last anytime at all. Seems like I will put them in for a tournament. Then a month later at the next tournament they will not work. I even shut it off instead of having it shut itself off after a couple minutes. I had a Rapala scale that took a 9 volt and it lasted forever with out changing batteries and did not have to go to Wal-Mart for replacements.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast