Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tamales

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tamales

Frank's Real New Orleans Hot Tamales

Genuine New Orleans Tamales! The only way they would taste any better would be to eat 'em after dark on the corner of Canal and Carrollton

Ingredients:

3 lbs. lean ground meat
    2 cups Ballard cornbread mix
    1 x-large onion (finely chopped)
    1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
    1 envelope Two-Alarm Chili Mix
    1 16 oz. can peeled tomatoes (chopped)
    1 2.5 oz. can Mexican-Style chili powder
    1 tsp. cumin
    3 cups water
    Salt and cayenne pepper to taste

Instructions:

Start off by sauteing the ground beef and onions until the beef browns and the onions become tender. At this point, strain the meat and drain off
    all but a couple tablespoons of the beef drippings. But keep it in reserve you'll need it later.

Then combine into the meat the Rotel tomatoes, the chili mix, the peeled tomatoes, the chili powder, the cumin, the water, and your salt and
    cayenne pepper. Now ... bring the mixture to a slow boil.. but as soon as the boil begins, reduce the heat to low and simmer everything together
    (with the cover on the pot) for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Next, strain the meat again from the juices (but save the juices). Then put the meat back into the pot and stir in the cornbread mix and one cup of
    meat drippings you saved from the sauteing process.

At this point, you can adjust the "spicyness" of the tamales by adding either more chili powder or cayenne pepper. Then mix everything together
    extremely well once more ... and note - you want the tamale mixture to be moist and pasty. but not "wet".

Finally, place about a tablespoon of the meat stuffing into the center of a moistened tamale paper, roll the paper around the tamale. and put the
    rolled tamales into a deep steamer pot
    Then ladle over the tamales all the juices and drippings you reserved during the preparation process ... and simmer everything on low for about
    45 minutes.
    When you're ready to eat. serve them piping hot.

Chefs Notes:
    For best results, serve the tamales ''New Orleans style", which means on top of newspaper with a Barq's on the side and a box of saltine crackers!

That is the recipe according to Frank Davis. The beef meat can be substituted with pork or half pork and half beef for a different and good taste. I might add that after the tamales are rolled it's best to fold one end back over the rolled tamale and put that end down in the pot to finish the off. The other end can be left opened. That way when you take them back out of the sauce, the innards won't fall out. Of course you can use corn husk instead of the paper but fold it just the same.

enjoy,
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds awesome Gene.....now I would have to read this and get my mouth drooling right before I go hit Mr Gatti's pizza buffet....picking up one of my Jacobs ex-coworker at 11.......

Thanks for sharing......

Bruce
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

That does sound good Gene! I always thought the meat was rolled in the center of the cornbread, but the way that one reads, it's all mixed together before rolled into the paper. Guess it doesn't matter since it all goes down together! Thanks for sharing this!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PPG!

PS - Eat some of that BBQ chicken for me. I miss hitting that place for lunch during grad school. Oh and The silver spoon cafe. I heard the spoon went down though. Damn shame, Momma made the best fried chicken and stewed cabbage this side of anywhere.
    The fish are biting somewhere and here I am on the computer again...

Post Thanks / Like

I love me some tamales I have an aunt & uncle that live in Zwolle & strangely every time I go see em I bring a empty ice chest that always comes back full of tamales.
    SeaArk Stealth 186 w/ 115 Mercury Optimax & 21p Powertech prop.

Post Thanks / Like

I just posted one on the LA forum also. Will have to try yours though PPG. Sounds good!
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bignate, I ate some of those Zwolle tamales a few years back and they were good. Linda and I had spent an anniversary weekend on the lower end of the lake in Feb. We spent a little time sightseeing and ended up heading north on Highway 191 to Zwolle and passed a tamale stand right before we got to town. I pulled in and bought a dozen hot ones to eat on the road. Well we were about a hour from Zwolle when we decided to try them. Boy were they good and realized we should have bought more. These were the traditional Mexican tamales.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post

Genuine New Orleans Tamales! The only way they would taste any better would be to eat 'em after dark on the corner of Canal and Carrollton
    Definitely gon try this one Mr Gene, thx!
    But if I'm in N.O., at night, on the corner of Canal and ANYWHERE, you can bet everythings tasting right. :D
    Who am I kidding, I'm too old for all that..........maybe. I'll find out if I get an off weekend.

thx again, gon start hunting down ingredients...would like to put this to the side of my crawfish monica.

Adam