Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Length!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Length!!

What brand of spinning rod and length would you recommend for casting 1/32oz. and 1/16th oz. jigs?? I always buy a new rod and reel each season and would like to get a perfect match.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite rod and spinning reel combo is the Shakespere Ugly stick rod 4 1/2
    or 5 ft. rod with shakespere ultralight reel. Here in Arkansas Walmart sells the combo for 29.95. I have five and love them.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with the Mitchell 500UL reels this year. It has a positive stop where ever you stop reeling, meaning the reel wont wind backwards until it hits a stop along the way (sometimes a half round backwards). I forget the name of the rod that comes with it but it is an IM6 graphite rod 5' long. Gave $29.95 for it at Walmart. Also bought a Quantum outfit but that reel doesnt have a positive stop like the Mitchell does.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink My favorite ......

rod, for casting jigs, is a Sam Heaton 7ft spinning rod. I've paired mine up with a Mitchell Spidercast spinning reel. I, personally, prefer the longer rods for jig casting. I feel I get more distance, and the longer rod picks up more slack on the hookset.

Matching a rod/reel is a "personal preference" kind of thing ... what feels/works for me, may not for someone else. Your budget may or may not be a factor, as well. Best advice I can give you, is check out your local tackle store and put a few rods & reels together; and see which ones feel right to you (balance, weight, length, action, price) ....... luck2ya ...cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My latest is a Wally Marshall 7' with a Shimano Symetre 750 on it. Using 6lb Suffix line. Its light weight and casts like a dream.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

My latest is a 7' quantum rod with a shakspeer spinning reel i love it

Post Thanks / Like

I like a longer rod, something like 7 to 7&1/2 feet for casting lighter jigs. Much better distance. I have several matched up with a Tica Cetus reel. Very nice smooth reel for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 7, 8 and 12' rods for jig, vertical and bobber fishing, but use 5' ugly stik LA rods with Shimano spirex reels for all my crappie casting.

Post Thanks / Like

I like St.Croix 6'-6" UL with okuma reel for small jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

My latest is an 8' light Wally Marshall crappie rod with a Shimano Sedona 1500. I like it very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast