Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pulling crankbaits out the back/side with front troling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default pulling crankbaits out the back/side with front troling motor

i read the post about the 4 batterys and how he likes to use the trolling motor to pull crankbaits. When you talk about doing this are you using the trolling motor on the front of the boat? i have tried this with my wireless trolling motor and have had trouble with the back of the boat, where the rods are, swinging too much when turning and making it much easier to get the lines crossed. i dont have this problem when using the big motor due to the back of the boat doing the turning. i would much rather use my trolling motor if you guys have any ideas to my problem

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of some folks running the trolling motor on the front in a straight position and then steering the boat with the non running outbard. You could try that....power at the front of the boat and steering at the back.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt think of that one....good idea...i'll try it next time

Post Thanks / Like

I pull cranks with my front mounted trolling motor. I've got a Powerdrive V2 with Co-Pilot and two sets of batteries. Three people usually fish out of my boat with two in the front and one trolling straight out the back. With your big motor down and acting as a rudder, the boat manouvers good. We usually crank our pull poles in before we turn around.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of putting a small(35 pounds) trolling motor on the back and setting it straight, then steering with the outboard. First I have to mount it without too much fuss til I can see how it works for me. Tight turns and long lines don't mix.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

That was my thread on the 4 batteries. I trim the big motor up to about full trim when at full throttle - meaning to the top of the trim, but before tilt kicks in. Place the outboard in neutral so the prop doesn't provide addtional drag and troll away. Never have an issue with the rear of the boat swinging on me, although I will admit my Champion has a very deep keel that helps. I pull out of the back with this set up.

Did the same with a mod V G3 1756 and don't recall having much of an issue with the motor trimmed down though. I just did that as an experiment though with the G3. I used the outboard with that boat to pull, but pulled off the side with that boat.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I pull cranks with my Terrova all the time and never had a problem with the back of the boat getting out of control. If your pulling at 1.7 I can't imagine how that would happen.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

I pull with a stick steer. I don't usually have any problems with cranks. But. when I pull jigs I have to be mindfull of the line getting into the prop of the big motor on turns. I also use the big motor to steer with. Sure is handy with a stick steer.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."