Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: alfalfa used in brush piles?

ejohnson44 Guest

Default alfalfa used in brush piles?

Hello All
    This is my 1st time to post a question. I've been reading with interest the other threads.
    I'm planning on sinking some alfalfa hay in burlap bags, how long will it take to draw the fish in and also how long will the hay last under water? I sank some brush a few weeks back and want to add the alfalfa to help draw in the crappie and hold them there.
    Thanks for any advice
    Ernie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome. I have never used alfalfa but I do know of folks who used range cubes and say they sweetened the pile. As far as how long to wait can't say. I used cottonseed meal in burlap and it worked great. Are you putting them in Conroe Or Hous. Co.? I lived in Katy for many years and just curious, that would be my 1st assumption. Don't let the horse owners get wind of what you're doing. I know about the recent drought and you're liable to get hay-jacked. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

ejohnson44 Guest

Actually I'm putting them in Lake Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah thats what I meant. I caught it but said to heck with editting.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by horseshoer
    Hi and welcome. I have never used alfalfa but I do know of folks who used range cubes and say they sweetened the pile. As far as how long to wait can't say. I used cottonseed meal in burlap and it worked great. Are you putting them in Conroe Or Hous. Co.? I lived in Katy for many years and just curious, that would be my 1st assumption. Don't let the horse owners get wind of what you're doing. I know about the recent drought and you're liable to get hay-jacked. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Jeff
    OK I bite , what are range cubes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnson44
    Hello All
    This is my 1st time to post a question. I've been reading with interest the other threads.
    I'm planning on sinking some alfalfa hay in burlap bags, how long will it take to draw the fish in and also how long will the hay last under water? I sank some brush a few weeks back and want to add the alfalfa to help draw in the crappie and hold them there.
    Thanks for any advice
    Ernie
    Ernie, when I put out alfalfa, I leave the bail unbroken and sink it. It takes more weight to sink it this way but it will last from 3-6 months this way. I have never broken it up but I am sure that will work also, it may not last as long though. Another good attracant to put out is cottonseed. I put this out and fish the area the next day (it will only last a couple of days).
    Good Luck,
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJL
    OK I bite , what are range cubes?
    Basicly compressed (cubes) of feed for cattle. Contents vary but compressed hay and grain, whole, ground, cracked, with mineral/vitamin additives.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

ok , so are you saying the hay cubes that we feed our horses will attract fish to a condo,. if so i can fill up a burlap bag tie it to a block and drop it in with my bamboo condos and this will start my honeyhole,,,,dammit boy my lack of fish catching needs them cubes more then my stinking ole horses..but could i sink a few of the horses too:D just kidding dont call peta