Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Going to Guntersville

stewart2727 Guest

Default Going to Guntersville

Hello all! I am also new to the site, and im hoping to learn a great deal about crappie fishing. I am planning a trip to Guntersville this spring . We are hoping to catch a few bass as well as some slabs. Does any one have any information about the specifics on this HUGE Impoundment??? Any information is greatly appreciated. Where is a good place to stay close to some good crappie holes? Do you troll, cast and drag the stumps? What is the best approach? Does any one know the water temp? Thanks again and im looking foreward to reading your posts in the coming months.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to site and good fishing

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't lived there for a few years but there was a Holiday Inn right on the lake in Guntersville and I think that there was a boat ramp next to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Stewart,

I fished guntersville last spring. Since I camp and fish I was at the State park. They have cabins and a lodge there as well. When I went it was very cold and windy but the fish were biting and the size was good. The way I was told to fish was to shoot the docks, also around from the state park is a rock bank and bridge. Several people fish this area. I did not catch a thing there but caught several shooting the docks. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

As you said, Guntersville is a huge impoundment. Most people classify Guntersville as the TN river from the TN state line all the way to Wheeler. The hotel on the edge of the water on Hwy 431 is still the Holiday Inn, and there are several others real close by. That area and the state park area and all the way to Goosepond in Scottsboro are what I would consider Guntersville. The state park as mentioned has cabins as well as Goosepond. Anywhere along the river channel as well as the flats should produce bass for you. Crappie should be shallow or holding on the drops real close to shallow water. There still might be some decent crappie around some of the bridges. Good Luck

stewart2727 Guest

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try and rough it in a tent. We have been lookins at a place called S.Sauty Creek. What do you fellas know about this place? It appears to be right in the middle with access to lots of good structure. We are hoping the weather cooperates. Got up this morning to 3" of snow! I'm really getting the fever. I really enjoy reading your alls posts. They help me get through the winter. I have really learned alot just by reading. Glad I decided to participate. Thanks again. I almost forgot, Crappie Ranger, What do you mean by "shooting the docks". What is the technique and what baits do you use? What area had some docks to shoot?
    Last edited by stewart2727; 02-05-2006 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

check out the NAFF site its north alabama fishing forum, alot of good info on guntersville, search the archives for best info, be careful youll fall in love with north bama and never want to leave

Post Thanks / Like

S. Sauty creek is one of the best kept secrets around, except to the local folks. The bridge at South Sauty is a take a number fishing hole when the crappie are there. That area is excellent for crappie and bass fishing. There is a campground there. I have never crappie or bass fished the area, but my friends have and its talked about alot by the locals. My friends have caught some nice fish there. I use to bream fish it many years ago and I'm still amazed by the way we use to catch all those huge bream there. You cant go wrong fishing that area. Try to ask for some recent info from local people, and if they help you, I think you will do good. Even if you dont do well, you will fall in love with the area just as jhef said.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Stewart ...

Quote Originally Posted by stewart2727
    What do you mean by "shooting the docks". What is the technique and what baits do you use?
    Maybe I can answer this part of your questions - Here's a copy of a post of mine, explaining "shooting docks" -

"shooting" a dock is a method whereby one uses the rod/reel/line more as a "slingshot", than as a catapult. When casting - one catapults the lure through the air, by rapidly moving the rod thru the air and letting go of the line at the optimum moment ... when "shooting" - one does not move the rod, but moves the bait and releases it.
    Take your spinning outfit in hand and allow the line, with the jig tied on the end, to hang about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down (from the tip towards the reel) .... open the bail and hold the line with your finger (as when normally using it to cast) ... grab the jighead (by the head) with the hook pointed away from your hand/fingers (with your "other" hand) ... pull the jig back towards the reel until the rod is bent and under a bit of strain ... aim the rod at the intended target (generally an opening between the dock and water's surface) ... the rod should be pointed slightly downward towards the water's surface at a slight degree, and aimed at a point on the water's surface that is just past the first part of the dock closest to you ... release the jighead, and as the jighead slings forward and straightens out the line (on it's way towards your target spot) --- release the line from your finger (on the hand that's holding the rod/reel). The jig should "shoot" forward and hit the water's surface at a glancing blow, and ricochet (skip) off the surface and continue on its journey up under the dock. Lift the rod up to the 10 o:clock position and close the bail ... then start your slow retrieve. Watch the line for any telltale signs of a "hit", and set the hook with a quick upwards snap of the wrist and forearm.
    It's all in the timing of the release of the line by the rod holding hand, angle of the rod, and the shape of the "plastics" you have impaled on your jig hook that make for a succesful "shot". Practice trying to "shoot" a jig into a 5gal bucket (lying on its side) from about 10-15ft away. You should be able to put the jig inside the bucket, in 9 of 10 tries, after you've got your "release timing" figured out.

As for "baits" .... tube jigs, grubs, and most other plastics will all work. But, I have found that a Panfish Assassin does seem to skip better than most others, giving you a better chance of getting the bait farther back under the dock. Jighead sizes/weights that are the most popular, where I've done my "dock shooting" (Watts Bar, Weiss) are the 1/32 - 1/24 - 1/16oz. I prefer a weedless jighead (due to the obstacles & brush that may lie beneath a dock) and haven't suffered any fewer hookups, by using them. Highly visable line is also recommended ... and being a "line watcher" is critical. Most hits seem to be just a light "tic", and you need to set the hook at the first sign of a hit ... so as not to allow the fish to turn and head back to cover.

Good "shooting" and ......... luck2ya ....... cp

stewart2727 Guest

Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks alot CrappiePappie, That was very specific and informative. If the weather permits I'm going to begin practicing today. Thanks again for all your help. If any one else has other techniques or suggestions please share them.:D