Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Waders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waders

Are any of you fellows familiar with this type of waders? I don't like the built in boot or the wading boot. I was wondering if that stocking foot on this wader is durable enough to withstand limbs and such on the lake bottom.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Post Thanks / Like

Default probably not

the stocking foot wadres are meant to be used with wading boots over them,so they mioght not withstand the lake bottom without

Post Thanks / Like

Stocking foot waders are not intended to be worn without an outer wading shoe. . My husbnad has boot foot waders. I have hip boots. We bought ours from LLBean, which has a nice selection of foot options and shoes. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    Are any of you fellows familiar with this type of waders? I don't like the built in boot or the wading boot. I was wondering if that stocking foot on this wader is durable enough to withstand limbs and such on the lake bottom.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

fishingpox......speaking from my own experience, the wading boots will protect your feet and your waders, there are many sticks and rocks that will puncture the stocking foot of your waders, and your feet as well. My personal preferance is a 5 mm neoprene stocking foot chest wader, due solely to the water temp in the spawn period. When I first tried wading I just jumped in the 60 degree water in a pair of jeans, and I could only stand the cold AR water for about an hour when I started turning blue and shivering. I bought some heavy canvas waders and they weren't much better, maybe a hour and a half in the water. The 5mm neophrene chest waders were my next waders, and a good pair of wading boots, all from Cabela's. With them, I could wade all day very comfortably. The waders you are looking at are lightweight and thin, made for warm water fishing, and they are not offering you any insulation, which is ok for warm water, but will not help you during the cool spawning periods, and that's the peak time for wading crappie. Hope this helps you in your decision, and best of luck in your wading for crappie!

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Waders

COME ON RUSTY --YOU,RE TOUGH PUT YOUR SWIM SUIT ON AND JUMP IN ....HEHEHE
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I figured you had to have wading boots for that particular type of waders. A fellow can always hope for something new.

Now Mr. Frank, if I put my skimpy swim suit on and got in the water, the fish would jump in the boat. Therefore, cheating me out of catching them. If I get fish hungry, I'll follow your advice. :D

Great point Mr. Bill, My old waders are made of a heavy type vinyl and cold water temps did not bother me.

Thanks for the info everyone.

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with labill, neoprene is the way to go especially in cold water. Check out the pic below. Temp that morning was 19 degrees, water temp 38. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...y/scan0014.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Frank - you will appreciate this one. I was fishing with a buddy on January 3rd several years ago and was wading a point on Lake Shelbyville (central Illinois) with water temps running in the mid 30's. I had on chest waders and he was just wearing jeans and tennis shoes. There was a large stump out on the point that was producing a crappie for me on almost every cast. My buddy on shore couldn't cast that far to reach the stump and he had not caught a fish all day. As I was reeling in another keeper crappie I heard splashing behind me and here he comes in his tennis shoes and jeans. He said he couldn't stand it to see me out there catching all the crappie and him standing on shore not getting a bite. It appeared to be a good idea at the time, but it was a long cold ride home for him that day. To this day I can't tell that story without laughing my butt off.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a pear of old sneakers over my (cheap) sockfoot waiters. Occasionally have to patch a thorn hole in the legs but the sneakers work fine.