Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Much Trolling Motor

I have found a good deal (I think) on a 14 1/2 foot aluminum V Hull. Boat is in good condition, set up about like I want for crappie fishing. Trailer is in excellent condition. Motor is 25 HP Evinrude, PULL START. Everything is 1994. I trust this guy, he says the motor has less then 200 hours on it. It has lived most of its life in his and the previous owners garages. Says it starts on first pull every time. It did yesterday after not running for several months. Has a cheap Hummingbird depth finder, a small trolling motor. two batteries and two gas cans. He wants $1500.00. If I buy it I will keep it well tuned but I know some day it will fail me and not start. I will never be more then 5/6 miles from the launch. What pound thrust trolling motor to get me back? I know I will not be throwing a wake but need something faster then rowing. Do not want foot operated. I will have two fully charged quality batteries on board. What size? Wwhat brand? Is this boat a good deal? Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 48 lb on a 14ft boat and up river in current it would hold out fof 2 miles. but that was the end of it. Also if you can run the TM at half it will last a lot longer. And that is what I did that day. running right near the bank and about half speed.
    I now have a 65 lb on a 20ft boat and can run it all day and still have power left.
    PEte

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st boat was a 15' alum. v-hull that I put an 8hp Mariner on. I got a 32# thrust MinnKota and it served me well. I have seen alot of favoritism here on the board for tr motor preference (MinnKota vs Motorguide) but I have had both and no problem. All mine have been transom mount and I think the debate over favorite tr motor company was more a thing with prob encountered with the foot controlled units. The 32 # was fine for that boat but like you say you won't set any speed records. There is alot of merit in what was said about not using it at highest speed too, to buy it with power you will have at a medium setting in mind.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

go as big as your voltage will let you [12 vlt one bat or 24 vly 2 battery]

Post Thanks / Like

Wire it parrallel and it will perform better and last longer before running the batteries down.

Post Thanks / Like

As big as your budget can afford. You can always slow em down, but can't speed up if you don't have the thrust. There are really only two choices Minnkota and Motorguide. Both are good. Check around and look for last year 's model closeouts and buy the best deal.

stewart2727 Guest

Cabelas has Minn Kota All Terain 55,65,70 lb. thrust on sale close outs I think. I got a 52", 70 lb for 409.00

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. After your inputs and some research, I think Minn Kota, 50 or 55 lbs thrust.

Post Thanks / Like

just wanted to throw this in - the dura-amp or maximizer equipped motors,
    whichever brand you prefer - really do what they say, as far as more
    running time on a charge, at least in my experience. The infinitely variable
    speed is something too, after getting used to, I wouldn't want to be without.
    Oh, and don't do like me - I bought a 12V motor because I didn't want the weight
    of two tm batteries, then found out one wouldn't last long enough, so ended up
    with two in parallel - if I'd known that at the time, would have got a 24V motor!
    Ended up, the extra weight makes it ride better anyway.
    Last edited by J White; 02-04-2006 at 10:56 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

HAD A 55# MINN-KOTA --12VOLT ON A 16' HEAVY FISHIN RIG AND IT WOULD TROLL 5-6 HRS. WITH NO SWEAT---HAVE A 24 VT. NOW ON A 18' BOAT AND IT GOES ALL DAY ALSO
    LIKE JWHITE SAID GET THE VARIBLE SPEED AND WILL MAKE THEM RUN A LOT LONGER
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast