Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoon Minnow mold

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spoon Minnow mold

An incredible lure design I discovered last week involves using a long serving spoon as a mold.
    Name:  1st_spoon_pour.jpg
Views: 7539
Size:  63.3 KBdName:  1st_spoon_pour_trim_for_crappie_and_bass.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  38.2 KB.Name:  final_trim_spoon_minnow.jpg
Views: 2497
Size:  43.1 KB

These are pictures of the same lure poured from the front of a tilted spoon (very thin tail), ending with a puddle near the handle. After the head cooled a little I added one more drop to the head to increase thickness.
    The middle picture is the first trim with scissors; the bottom the last trim.

Tip: I also use a drop of super glue to toughen the head where the nose hook enters. The bait will stay on much longer after many fish and casts.

The action is phenomenal ! First time out, the lure caught close to 40 yellow perch, 15 bluegill and a few crappie and pickerel. (The crappie were in deeper water and I stayed out of the wind in a shallow wind protected area). The following day, I tandem rigged the spoon minnow with a 1/16 oz. jig on bottom and small polamar rigged Octopus hook 8" above it and caught many crappie doubles, if not one fish or the other lure on consecutive casts.

It is the perfect finesse/ dropshot/ light jig bait.

Also, last night I cut the handle off a spoon, laid it on thick aluminum foil, brought the aluminum upwards to form sides and poured a 4" minnow. Imagine the shape from the rounded thicker end to the tapered end of the handle as the template - thick to very thin. Same great action with the slowest retrieve possible.

Tom Mann's Shadow and a reaper are similar in concept, but this design is so much better.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

lol i love it. try 2 colors in the spoon minnow.

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by senkosam View Post
    An incredible lure design I discovered last week involves using a long serving spoon as a mold.
    Name:  1st_spoon_pour.jpg
Views: 7539
Size:  63.3 KBdName:  1st_spoon_pour_trim_for_crappie_and_bass.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  38.2 KB.Name:  final_trim_spoon_minnow.jpg
Views: 2497
Size:  43.1 KB

These are pictures of the same lure poured from the front of a tilted spoon (very thin tail), ending with a puddle near the handle. After the head cooled a little I added one more drop to the head to increase thickness.
    The middle picture is the first trim with scissors; the bottom the last trim.

Tip: I also use a drop of super glue to toughen the head where the nose hook enters. The bait will stay on much longer after many fish and casts.

The action is phenomenal ! First time out, the lure caught close to 40 yellow perch, 15 bluegill and a few crappie and pickerel. (The crappie were in deeper water and I stayed out of the wind in a shallow wind protected area). The following day, I tandem rigged the spoon minnow with a 1/16 oz. jig on bottom and small polamar rigged Octopus hook 8" above it and caught many crappie doubles, if not one fish or the other lure on consecutive casts.

It is the perfect finesse/ dropshot/ light jig bait.

Also, last night I cut the handle off a spoon, laid it on thick aluminum foil, brought the aluminum upwards to form sides and poured a 4" minnow. Imagine the shape from the rounded thicker end to the tapered end of the handle as the template - thick to very thin. Same great action with the slowest retrieve possible.

Tom Mann's Shadow and a reaper are similar in concept, but this design is so much better.
    I must say this is very creative it shows you that you do not need $65 mold to catch fish. I commend you on on the sample in easy made soft plastic bait lounge it works for you that so you need. I have never thought about making soft plastic baits like you have but might give it a second thought. Now keep up the good work and creativity.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

we use to have a member here that did things like that and it worked well. I think it looks good, thanks for contributing

Post Thanks / Like

at a second look...tadpole.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really cool!!! Thanks for posting the pics along with how you did fishing with em.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that I gave 6 to a fishing buddy and he rigged them under a bobber in shallow water.
    The pumpkinseed sunnies attacked the bait like they hadn't been fed in a year! The other thing was that I had the rod hanging over the water with a baits 1' under the surface and the lure caught at least half dozen perch without my hand even on the rod.

The picture doesn't do justice to the color but I had some old plastic lying around in pumpkin with gold hologram and lime green flakes. I'll post another color I poured this morning: clear with gold hologram and black flakes. I don't need any other colors to catch fish regardless of water clarity.

In fact Bob, you might want to cut up a bunch of old plastics, try to fill to 1 cup level or more in a pyrex cup, heat and stir, heat and stir in a microwave and follow the method. I have used plastic I'm still using that's 10 years old. Recycle.

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by senkosam View Post
    I forgot to mention that I gave 6 to a fishing buddy and he rigged them under a bobber in shallow water.
    The pumpkinseed sunnies attacked the bait like they hadn't been fed in a year! The other thing was that I had the rod hanging over the water with a baits 1' under the surface and the lure caught at least half dozen perch without my hand even on the rod.

The picture doesn't do justice to the color but I had some old plastic lying around in pumpkin with gold hologram and lime green flakes. I'll post another color I poured this morning: clear with gold hologram and black flakes. I don't need any other colors to catch fish regardless of water clarity.

In fact Bob, you might want to cut up a bunch of old plastics, try to fill to 1 cup level or more in a pyrex cup, heat and stir, heat and stir in a microwave and follow the method. I have used plastic I'm still using that's 10 years old. Recycle.
    yes we have tons of old plastic in we do remailed it it use it quite a bit. I hope that you keep posting your ideals. It's nice to see somebody creative and I hope you post more pictures with more of your plastic bait ideals. I for one deftly want to see more from you in the future have you worked with plaster Paris making molds I think that you would be pretty good at coming up with different techniques in ideals. I would truly love to have a milling machine to work with course I hate to get into making molds because I would probably have to buy a semi-load of stock material to work with. But again, we thank you for posting your ideals here.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've made about two dozen plaster molds of prototypes and copies. Some are two part, meaning thay have a pour spot and produce full round baits. The others are simple one part molds and have a semi-flat side. I coat them with glossy Valspar wallboard sealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Video

PRESS PICTURE TO START VIDEO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast