Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Springfield Area Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Springfield Area Crappie

i go to college in springfield and my boat stays at home, so i was just wondering where the best place would be to catch a few crappie without a boat. i've been to fellows and lake springfield without much luck but i don't think they had hit the spawn yet. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fellows Lake

The best place I know around here for bank-fishing for crappie would be Fellows Lake. What I have done in past years is to park near that bridge on the east end of the lake and walk about 100 yards west on the south shore to any of those points and steep banks. Crappie are usually active in the mornings from those banks, but they tend to quit biting about 9 a.m.

I haven't tried fishing McDaniel Lake for many years, but it used to be a productive spot also. You might check it out.

Lake Springfield is good for crappie also, but you really need a boat. With the motor and size restrictions there, even a cheap rowboat works just fine - so you might consider watching the ads and picking up a used one. I have caught a lot of crappie by launching at the ramp where Hwy. 65 crosses then slow-trolling a swimmin' minnow jig behind a rowboat. Good luck! - Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

thanks for the help, me and a buddy might have access to a canoe so i may have to give lake springfield a try.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"