Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of prop for a 40 hp?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What type of prop for a 40 hp?

I was wondering about what type of propeller to buy for my 40 hp force mercury?
    I have a aluminum one now and it bends real easy .I heard that a stainless steel is much better,
    And will pay for it self buy lasting much longer.
    Getting mixed signals on this one, some say they that stainless steel will damage your lower end shaft when
    Hitting something .Some say that a 40 hp is too small of a engine to damage the lower end and has a rubber device that will pop
    When hitting something.
    Stainless steel, $244.00 aluminum $ 124.00 rebuild is $80.00

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie joe i wouldn`t have anything but a ss prop . i have one on a 50 hp and a 55 hp. now .

post this question or do a search on this site
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Joe....post the year, Model number and prop number from your motor. I have a prop that might fit your boat. I'ts aluminum but it's cheaper.

there are many things that you need to make sure of before you switch props. it's not as easy as just swapping them out. make sure you go thru the process. you can try this site http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi go the props page and post as much info as you can about your prop and motor there are several guys on there that do props for a living...good luck
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

ok will do thanks .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop information

This is a file that should answer some your questions about prop selection. This subject can be very confusing because of the many factors involved in choosing the correct prop such as the length and weight of the boat, max recommended rpm of motor, etc..

I hope this helps on the different choices and manufactors of props.

http://www.miwheel.com/MIWheel/pdf/obsd_03.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the help I just bought a ss prop on line for $150.00 shipping included .Retail $325.00

http://www.boat-props.com/propellers/
    Last edited by crappie joe; 02-03-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

Stainless is the only way to go. I had a 15hp once with an alluminum prop and bent the prop shaft when I hit something, so either way you can do damage. Your boat will perform better with a stainless prop, and the prop will last longer than the alluminum. I currently have a stainless prop on my hunting boat with over 400 hours of hard running on the prop with no ill effects on the motor. I have hit numerous trees, alligators, and other things with this motor and it is still going strong.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have just recently replaced the aluminum prop on my 40 hp Yamaha with a stainless. When I purchased it I lowered the pitch from a 14 to a 13 degree due to stainless does not flex like aluminum. I have not clocked it with a GPS yet but it does seem to go faster. You should like the stainless alot better.
    enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

I went from a 15 to a 14 pitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Default yamaha 40

Quote Originally Posted by ejones1961
    I have just recently replaced the aluminum prop on my 40 hp Yamaha with a stainless. When I purchased it I lowered the pitch from a 14 to a 13 degree due to stainless does not flex like aluminum. I have not clocked it with a GPS yet but it does seem to go faster. You should like the stainless alot better.
    enjoy!
    I went from a 17 pitch to a 13 on my Yamaha 40 and lost 2mph but I hit plane so much better. Mine me asking what that SS prop cost you? What brand it is?
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast