Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where is Palmyra?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where is Palmyra?

Hey Jigdancer and queyit! I saw your post and was wondering where and how to get to Palmyra. I fished Chotard and Abermale for the first time last year as I was new to the Jackson area. I had a great time with the Bluegill and a few Crappie in Chotard. PALMYRA sounds like a pretty good place. Thanks for any information and GOOD LUCK in your fishing this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the one in LA. ??
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigdancer may be able to give you better directions on how to put in when the Mississippi River is high enough but it's south west of Vicksburg (Mississippi/Louisiana border).

Post Thanks / Like

Palmyra is an Oxbow lake situated in the Middle of Davis Island South of Vicksburg. From Vicksburg the Best way to get there is go to MOund La.
    Get off at Mound and get on 602. Go about 7 miles, theres an Old Store on the Left(Po Boy Dons), Take a left there and go about two miles, this is Montrose Rd., it dead ends in La. 603 , take a left and follow this until you come to where the MS River levee is running along the road on your left.
    Follow along the Levee about 2 miles to Dahlia Road. Take a left, get up on the Levee and follow it a couple miles, get off on the first gravel road that drops off on the Left of the levee(river side). Go a short distance and take first left, This will take you to Meltons Landing. YOu put in there and go up the old River about a mile and you will see Palmyra Chute on the Right. Go up the Chute about a mile and you will come out into Palmyra Lake( Many maps you see will call the Old River Palmyra Chute or Palmyra Lake). You normally cant get up this Chute if the Ms River at Vicksburg is 10' or below but usually the fishing is best the lower the river is. Also best on Falling river.
    If you want to see something good. Go to Google Earth and Download. Put in Vicksburg MS as the Address. Take your cursor down the river to Le Tourneau Manufacturing Plant. Look across the MS river from Le Tourneau and you will see where the Old River turns West and starts its run around Davis Island. Then you can look at the Whole Island and Palmyra Lake.
    Anyone who hasnt used this Site to look at Your Favorite Lakes or anything are missing a Treat. Good Luck and Good Fishing