Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: recomendation please

Post Thanks / Like

Default recomendation please

Well its saturday morning and I figure everyones fishing now, good luck. Just wanted to know if any of you could make recomendations on a good rod and reel setup for what you fellas call "swimmin jigs". Pretty sure that I need something more sensitive for "feeling the bite". Im using the 9 foot walley marshall crappie rods but that pole wears me out being so long and its a little flemsy so Im pretty sure its just not the right setup for the jig without a float situation. I know for a fact I would like a very light setup for the simple fact you are casting so much and all. The reel I can prolly figure out okay but the rod is something Im sure some of you could help me with. Oh, and for you fellas that swim jigs, do you fellas use braided line for sensitivity reasons or still stick with mono?? ThankS

Robin Wash Georgetown Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

myself i use my trout rod. a 7ft medium action with a pfluger president and 6lb test. sometimes i use 4lb test.

Post Thanks / Like

B'n'M sam heaton super sensitive....wont break the bank, and is a nice rod...

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

For swimming I like a 5'-6" to 6' light action I like Berkley Lighting Rods, mostly use 6# test line but will also use 4# in some situations.

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieCrazed

I like to use St. Croix, 6' medium light. I started with the Premier series rod but recently upgraded to Avid. The 6' rod is great for pitching and vertical fishing. I like to use a 7' for long cast & retrieve.

I use Quantum Energy reels with 6lb low visibility green mono. Be careful using braids, some can be abrasive and wear grooves in the eyes of a cheap rod.

Good luck,
    Starvin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starvin Fisherman View Post
    CrappieCrazed

I like to use St. Croix, 6' medium light. I started with the Premier series rod but recently upgraded to Avid. The 6' rod is great for pitching and vertical fishing. I like to use a 7' for long cast & retrieve.

I use Quantum Energy reels with 6lb low visibility green mono. Be careful using braids, some can be abrasive and wear grooves in the eyes of a cheap rod.

Good luck,
    Starvin
    Actually I have a friend of mine that is a bass fisherman that saids there is nothing like the st.croix rods but I didnt know they would be good for crappie fishing. Im gonna check out a few different ones recommended above and get something because what Im using is kickin my arse!!!

Jeepguyjames, I was checking out that rod today after I posted my thread today. Saids its super sensitive and can feel the faintest of strikes with that rod. That is definetly what im looking for. Light and sensitive.

Appreciate everyones input.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Sam Heaton rods. I have two 7 footers and I love them. Can even feel when they just pick up with 1/16 jig, Great rods.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

break the bank... buy the best medium light 7' you can... mono always... 6lb low visibility green...
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><