Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: WV Trout

Post Thanks / Like

Default WV Trout

I was being nosy last night, and going though the trout stockings from 2010 in the wvdnr website. They stocked trout (brood) all the way up until the end of August. I couldnt believe it, in my 20+ years of fishing i never knew this. I gues if you read your regs its hard to tell what you will learn. Anyone looking for late season trout fishing, look around Summersville WV. Pretty country and some nice fish

Post Thanks / Like

The reason they do this jason is cause there stockin brood so they can grow and multiply by trout season

Post Thanks / Like

exactly now i know this we can trout fish year round now....

Post Thanks / Like

Almost bro ! most are cought due to the lack of the D>N>R as far as stocking the dont stock enough ! and some years when they have the money and they do have the funds to stock enough they won't tell anyone and they die toward the summer months if they don't go deep in the lake which they don't in East lynn cause they put them in below the dam ! either way I keep up with when and where they stock and I'm there the day after most of the time ! and I usually catch them on thesName:  IMG00522-20101130-0856.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  36.4 KBeName:  IMG00530-20101130-0858.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  44.3 KB Name:  IMG00526-20101130-0857.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  43.8 KB!Name:  IMG00525-20101130-0856.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  52.9 KB
    Name:  IMG00528-20101130-0857.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  45.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PBUG2009 View Post
    exactly now i know this we can trout fish year round now....
    What flyrob said.....kinda. These summer stockings are mostly done in the tailwater sections of East Lynn, Summersville and Sutton and I think at least some in the potomac branches. But almost none actually make it very long due to overfishing and the fact that they are put in warmwater streams with borderline water quality.

Never fear though! There are some summer trout fishing options, mainly for natives, in WV. Research alot and you can find some...I can think of 4 good (secret) ones off the top of my head. I also hear Elkhorn Creek in McDowell holds some nice rainbows, however the water is dirty and you don't want to eat them....you can also usually catch some in cranberry or even the williams throughout the summer with a little effort.

I do have a friend that caught a 6lb Brood Goldie after one of these stocking on the South Branch.....AND 1500 lbs of rainbow were JUST helicopter dropped into the Gauley a couple days ago.
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.