Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default keeping minnows

Bought 6 dozen the other day, guy at bait shop did not count em, bet I got 8 dozen #5 crappie minnows. used only a couple dozen last week. Here is how I have kept the rest till today, one week later. I had a styrafoam ice chest given to me, it is real thick even the lid, it is one that people get their Chemo medicine in. I put about a gallon of tap water in then fill the rest of the way with water from my pond, might be 3 gallons all together, been using a small battery powered aireator. Every couple of days I dip out about half the water and replace it with water from my pond. Yesterday morning I took all the minnows out and placed them into 2 minnow buckets, each about 2 gallons and fairly well insulated, each filled with pond water. I dumped the old water out of the chest and rinsed it. then left it to air out. We were in the mid 80's yesterday, I left the 2minnow buckets on my carport in the shade with out any aireation (dead batteries) (did not loose one minnow) When I got in from work yesterday I refilled the chest, as before with some tap water and the rest pond water, then put all the minnows back in the chest with the small aireator in it, with new batteries (I have to go by me a 110 volt aquraium aireator). I have also been giving them a little floating fish food I feed the catfish in my pond. Today is my day off so I will not have to go hunt up bait this morning I can just head for the lake. Pretty simple but it seems to be keeping them alive very good. As the my pond cools and the air temp cools I will start placing the minnows I have left over after fishing in a container in the pond.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it is working out good for you.Beats having to go buy new ones.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very similar to my setup there fishbaskett...

www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 35 gal aquarium set up just for that purpose. They will stay alive about five weeks before I use them all up and go and get 10 doz more. When I want to fish I just grab a doz and head out.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI here is florida they sell the "blue" thats put in the water at the bait shops. it is put in small vials, as not much is needed. i get an amount that will last me for several months in my large tank for around $3.00 or less. m(just in case you want to short cut the pond water) i then just change the "blue" water every couple weeks or as needed and put more "blue" in. sorry i do not know the chemical name. who knows maybe its green where you live?
    CG1 "Dances with fish"

Post Thanks / Like

I buy miinows from a shop that uses the blue powder, think I even have some of it somewhere. I have not been having to change the water out lately, since the weather got cooler. I have about 3 dozen left from my last trip, over a week ago, I just dumped in the lake water with them and they are looking great today, but they are going to get out and go search for crappie tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

So you like blue water? It's good stuff...

Sites that sell aquaculture chemicals sell methylene blue… and it’s cheap.

Methylene Blue: Methylene blue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---Methylene Blue---
    Methylene Blue is effective against skin and gill flukes, ick, velvet, fungus and many external parasites and bacterial infections. This compound is very safe to use even for many invertebrates. Methylene Blue works by staining cells and disabling their metabolism.

A positive side effect of this compound is the ability to increase hemoglobin (oxygen carrying cells) by transforming methemoglobin. Because of this characteristic, methylene blue can be used to treat nitrite and cyanide poisoning.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Benton B, interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's my set-up

This is my set-up. an old upright freezer, with a 5 gallon bucket as a filter. I even keep larger perch, for Catfishing. I have a 1 1/4 lb. Longear I've kept alive for 5 months. He's the biggest I've ever caught, and didn't have the heart to use him for bait or eat him. The "blue stuff" is called "Better Bait", and is sold @ BPS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbone2374 View Post
    This is my set-up. an old upright freezer, with a 5 gallon bucket as a filter. I even keep larger perch, for Catfishing. I have a 1 1/4 lb. Longear I've kept alive for 5 months. He's the biggest I've ever caught, and didn't have the heart to use him for bait or eat him. The "blue stuff" is called "Better Bait", and is sold @ BPS.
    Be interested how you rig that 5 gallon bucket as a filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast