Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Bank Resort at Reelfoot??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue Bank Resort at Reelfoot??

Howdy all,
    I am going down to Reelfoot the weekend of March 24-26. We will staying at a place called Blue Bank. I have never went anywhere that I didn't take my boat or a friends. I have also never fished there. What should I expect? The boats do not have a depth finder or trolling motor, so I am taking them with me! I don't even know what area/side of the lake the Blue Bank is on? Any help, suggestions, tips, etc....will be appriecated. If anyone is going to be around there at this time, let me know. Maybe we can meet up and catch some together!

Thanks

Fred
    Last edited by Fred in Ky; 02-02-2006 at 08:17 PM.
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot Trip

Fred,

You didn't say which week-end you're going as that might make a difference in where the crappie are located. Blue Bank is in the lower blue basin on the southeast side of the lake, below Samburg, Tn. With the warm winter we've been having the fish may be in the shallow water stumps waiting to spawn. My main suggestion is to look for a bunch of boats off Green Island Point. If they are there, the fish are still hanging out in the deeper water. Try Swam Basin just around the bend from Green Island or Bell's Stumps right out from Blue Bank. Just look for the boats and ask at the resort, they'll tell you where to try.

All of the locals spider rig with minnows on a double rig. When we go, I drift with the wind over the stumps with jigs and jigs tipped with minnows. Watch the wind on Reelfoot as it can get you in trouble at 10 mph. I also take a TM and Depth finder with me and it helps find the fish. Making them bite is another thing. We'd had very good luck on red/char, bubblegum/char curly tails and blue/white and black/char tube jigs.

We go the 3rd week of April every year and when the wind lets us fish we do really good. If the weather stays like it has been, and you're going late in the month, you may hit it pretty good. The luck you have depends on the weather you have. Catching the crappie is the easy part. Once you locate them, stay on them until they quit. Then move and find some more. Hope this helps..Good luck and let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Doh!! We will be there March 24-26th! Thanks for the info!
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Water temp Tuesday was 50 degrees so if the winter does not hit. The crappie may be on the beds by then.
    Bluebank motel is on the southwest end Lower blue basin, Theres plenty of good fishing there. but watch out for the stumps and the rebar that some of the locals drive in the top of them, It gets bent over when the lake ices over and sure tears a boat up.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latest Reelfoot Report

Fred,

Here's the latest fishing report from one of the guides at Reelfoot. He normally post it like it is..

http://www.fishin.com/reports/tn/reelfoot.htm

Notice he mentioned the wind factor. In the small boat you will be using and only a 6 hp motor you need to be careful and use your head about going out on the lake. It's a very hard lake to escape the wind unless you get in one of the canals and fish for gills.

There's another place close to Blue Bank where a fishing pier is located that has a lot of stumps about 30 yards directly in front of it. We've gotten into some nice size crappie there in the past.

I hope you enjoy the trip and can get onto some fish. This will be our 11th year going there and it's a lake just made for crappie, bluegill and bass fishing.
    I don't recommend taking your boat any time you go as there are just too many stumps just waiting for a lower unit to tear up.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

This site might help.

http://www.reelfoot.com/fishing_report.htm Look back and read what the reports tell you. The big key is water temp. Have fun !!

Post Thanks / Like

I know this won't help you since you are renting a boat but if the wind is too bad to fish out of Blue Bank you might consider going up and fishing the northern lake. It's not near as large a body of water and won't get as rough. I always fished the northern lake when I used to go and there were always guys trailering boats from down the lake because they couldn't fish there because of the wind. I always loved fishing there but switched to Lake Barkley so I could use my boat. A week in their boats just killed my back not to mention the lack of depth finders and other features! Plus I figured why rent when I have a boat . Good luck Fred and good fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Fred,
    I am going with my brother to this resort on APril 16th. From what i have researched, this is an optimum time for crappie, bluegill, and bass. I am not hot for any specific species, thus the later trip. If you don't mind, let me know how your trip ends up. I met with the people from Blue Bank at the Cincinnati Sport Show and booked my trip on the spot. They seemed more than accomodating. Let me know.

mistertwister (from ky)
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue Bank

I have stayed at Blue Bank a few times and they are great people. Usually they will have a cookout if the weather permits. I have not stayed there in about 4 years but if I do go back that is the place I am going. I believe they do have a ramp there if you decide to take your own boat but I would not suggest it. Reelfoot is full of stumps that are just under the water and you can't see them. If the wind is blowing it get's pretty rough on the water. It's not a very deep lake so any wind at all will really rile up the water. Always enjoy fishing there though. If the crappie are not biting try the catfish.
    Mike Perry
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thank you all very much. Y'all are the best! I'll post a trip report when I get back.
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast