I guess you could say that a jig that replaces a wt. on the bottom is classified as a tandem rig, but I still use the polamar knot and thin gauge hook to nose hook soft finesse plastics above the jig. I only had one double hook up on the rig, but I found out that either bait was fair game in the crappie schools I wacked Sat and Sun. Same for gills. The action was incredible near two humps and allowed me to change lure styles to see the difference in the strike and to see which bait in the rig got hit most.

The flash jig stayed on bottom though usually worked a foot or two off bottom in 5'.
The upper bait was a 2" grub with curl tail cut off and a strand or two of round living rubber pulled through the rear with a thin wire loop. Another sure hit mod is cutting off the front part of a Tiny Brush Hog and doing the same with the LR or attaching a fork tail from a Fin S Fin (Lunker City) - only a 1/4" - using a candle flame.

The catch rate in my local lake is like that of yellow perch schools in early fall or spring pre and post spawn crappies - four fish a minute. A three year old could catch fish!

I also used a bobber 1' above the nose hooked bait and did well. Wave action gave both baits just the right amount of action to get slammed, usually one or the other. The rig also cast into the wind easily and as far as using a 1/8 oz wt.

Average crappie size was 10-11" and with nice girth. Fingerlings are schooled all over the lake and the food chain is going nuts!