Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Peanut oil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peanut oil

How can you tell when to change peanut oil or how many times do you do use it before start with new. Jim C.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim C

I USED PEANUT OIL SEVERAL YRS. AGO IN A COMMERICAL FRYER ---HAD A FILTER WITH THROW AWAY FILTERS
    NEVER DID THROW IT OUT --JUST KEEP ADDING --FISH IS ALL THAT WAS FRIED IN IT AND IT NEVER WAS SMOKED [WHICH WILL RUIN IT ]
    AT THE END OF FISHIN SEASON I,D TEAR IT ALL DOWN AND START FRESH THE NEXT YEAR
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I think the most important part is getting the crumbs etc. out of it before storing it and not to get it too hot. If thinks start to taste like whatever you made in it last- time to use fresh. I filter mine through cheese cloth stretched over a container and have the container in the fridge to store it in. I once tried using coffee filters to filter with, but they don't work so well for oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Like was said above, strain and filter, then keep it in a cool dark place and it will last a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard you can cut up potatoes and fry them to suck the fish taste out of the oil.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I have done a few times....when alot of meal gets int he grease you can cook some fried chicken in the grease. The flour takes the drippings (meal) to the bottom and cleans the grease. You might barely taste a hint of fish but the chicken is still good. Main thing is it's cleaning your grease. As far as potatoes, I always fry french fries after cooking the fish. Then the hushpuppies all in the same grease.

When you're pouring your grease up just leave a little in the bottom of the cooker and that's where most of the meal is at. Unless you burn your grease you can just add more as the pot gets low and just keep right on using it for a long time.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

can't we all just grill along?
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Central Tx. West of Brownwood in the sticks
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Another thing I have done a few times....when alot of meal gets int he grease you can cook some fried chicken in the grease. The flour takes the drippings (meal) to the bottom and cleans the grease. You might barely taste a hint of fish but the chicken is still good. Main thing is it's cleaning your grease. As far as potatoes, I always fry french fries after cooking the fish. Then the hushpuppies all in the same grease.

When you're pouring your grease up just leave a little in the bottom of the cooker and that's where most of the meal is at. Unless you burn your grease you can just add more as the pot gets low and just keep right on using it for a long time.

we discovered this quite by accident, throw 3 or 4 slices of american cheese in the fryer while its still at cooking heat. the chese will melt and go to bottom and blend with the corn meal then float to the top, all you have to do then is skim it off. you got clean grease, keep cooking. Try this I sware it works like nothing you ever seen. And it is a cheep way to clean your grease befour freezing.
    have a good`un heycods

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jim, We cook fish around here 2 to 3 times a week, and all we use is peanut oil. I went to a commercial restaurant business and bought a filter screen and paper filters that goes with it. The filters are inexpensive considering the price of peanut oil. I run the oil through the filter after every cooking and normally get 10 to 12 cooking out of the oil if it doesn't exceed 350 degrees for long periods of time. But that
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

crash Guest

Something I was told, and have since tried myself is to fry about 3 turkeys in the oil. This will add some of the seasoning from the turkey, and then use the oil until it gets dark.