Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant figure these fish out

Post Thanks / Like

Default cant figure these fish out

are right guys heres the low down. pond 6-7 acers,max depth 21ft,trangulare shap,mud very little gravel or rock bottom,each corner has some grass but very little and little brush.no other cover or struchcher,39-42 water temp ,caught 2 slabs 2 different days 11in good fish,last night tryd lights with only 1 slab in 4hrs.did fish finder to locate suspended but always move around never in same place twice ,pos boat in 16ft water droped the lights 20yrds 0ff bank in one corner looks to be good spawn place 21ft water behind, called it a night when got to other corner [both dam sides] to pull out noticed lots of minnios smallperch in 5in or less water was i to deep??????????? help!!!!!!!! fishing withe minnos tryed jigs colors ect.no luck........the ones we did catch 5-7ft deep
    Last edited by bobber-in-water; 02-02-2006 at 01:18 PM.
    easy,easy set the hook:)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's what I'd try

I'm not a real big caster, but I think that at only 6-7 acres, I'd try an UL and throw some jigs or small crankbaits around the bank and then work my way out to deeper water until I found where they hang out the most. Should be able to cover alot of territory that way and narrow them down some in a short amount of time. Then too, I haven't fished a pond in 25 years, so I may be way off base.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

lip less 1/8 oz rattle trap or repella fast or slow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Might have to get an expert on that one!

I don't own any crankbaits except for some Road runners, all I throw is jigs. Crappiepappy or JWhite should be able to help you more with the crankbaits.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mo'nback for your in put

Post Thanks / Like

just never thrugh cranks for crappie. does any on think lights at night is a good idea sence i cant catch them in one paticular spot?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Try ....

a 1/16oz Roadrunner ... solid Chartreuse ... marabou ... on 4-6lb line ... 6-7ft spinning outfit in med/fast to med/light action.
    You can fish the shallows & over the grass beds, by using a steady moderate retrieve and holding the rod tip up ... deeper water can be fished by allowing the bait to sink, before retrieving - or a steady slow retrieve and holding the rod tip down.
    The water temps you found are a little on the cold side, for very much retrieve speed. So, you might want to try a FnF setup (float & hair jig) for a slower presentation. Other than using live bait, those would be my choices for finding their current locations. ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks crappiepappy will give it a try -water slightly stained mostly clear any color rec or stick to natural colors smoke/brown/tan ????

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default match the forage ...

is a pretty good rule of thumb. But, chartreuse seems to work in most all water clarity conditions.
    If the water is slightly stained to mostly clear ... you may be spooking the fish by getting too close - try longer distance casting (which is where the longer rod, lighter line, and heavy/compact jig like a Roadrunner comes in strong ... or the FnF set-up).
    If you know what the primary forage for these fish is .... bugs/larvae, minnows, other fish/fry, etc -- use a color that represents them. For bugs/larvae - browns/tans/black ... minnows - greens/blues/white ... other fish & their fry - red & green (bluegills), blk/white (bass, catfish), yellows & oranges (perch). A little chartreuse along with any of these colors is almost always a good thing. But, don't be afraid to experiment, either !! I've caught so many Crappie on "pink", it isn't funny .... and I have no idea why they like that color (or maybe they dislike it so much, they're just trying to kill it before it multiplies :rolleyes: ) ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

crappie pappy thaks will put it all to use hopfully it'll put a stringer in the boat orgive me more insight on were beter to set up thaxs a stringer full. and i'll tack all the info i can suck up before i go back out.i'm plannig to tack arsonal of info to help figerm out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast