Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optima battery

Post Thanks / Like

Question optima battery

anybody use these batteries, heard they were very good, but had a boat dealer here in mi tell me that they could only be re-charged at very low amps, he did not recommend them(he also did not sell them)
    just looking for some good info, and this site is gggreat for it!!!!
    thanks in advance..:
    fillet em n fry em
    john

Post Thanks / Like

delco voyagers are excellent. Have used them for last several years. Last set I used five years with no problems

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ranger 621 walleye boat and it is very hard on the batteries, and try to fish three or 4 times a week, so do lots of recharging, can only seem two get about two years out of my ac delcos, was thinking of switching to the optimas just for the trolling motor batteries, and keep the ac delco for starting(that one is 4 years old and still doing fine)
    fillet em n fry em
    john

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some charging requiements. See if this helps: http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...cal_specs.html
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the Cabela's AGMs, they are the latest craze in batteries and I have heard nothing but good stuff from everyone that owns them.

Post Thanks / Like

When my Optima goes (unless I get it replaced for free) I think I will try one of the Cabelas new tech batteries...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is alittel info on AGMs.

AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries
    A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates. This is a very fine fiber Boron-Silicate glass mat. These type of batteries have all the advantages of gelled, but can take much more abuse. We sell the Concorde (and Lifeline, made by Concorde) AGM batteries. These are also called "starved electrolyte", as the mat is about 95% saturated rather than fully soaked. That also means that they will not leak acid even if broken.

AGM batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at about the same cost as gelled:
    Since all the electrolyte (acid) is contained in the glass mats, they cannot spill, even if broken. This also means that since they are non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In addition, since there is no liquid to freeze and expand, they are practically immune from freezing damage.

Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.

The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.

AGM's have a very low self-discharge - from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries. The Concorde batteries can be almost fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of being totally discharged.

AGM's do not have any liquid to spill, and even under severe overcharge conditions hydrogen emission is far below the 4% max specified for aircraft and enclosed spaces. The plates in AGM's are tightly packed and rigidly mounted, and will withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery.

Even with all the advantages listed above, there is still a place for the standard flooded deep cycle battery. AGM's will cost 2 to 3 times as much as flooded batteries of the same capacity. In many installations, where the batteries are set in an area where you don't have to worry about fumes or leakage, a standard or industrial deep cycle is a better economic choice. AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. Not everyone needs these features.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds Like The Agms May Be A Better Way To Go.
    Thanks For All The Reply's , Guys.
    Just Love This Site!!
    fillet em n fry em
    john

Post Thanks / Like

I use an Optima Blue Top and I've never had any problem out of it, lasts a long time and charges just fine.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have 3 Optima batteries

My starting battery has been used two full seasons and my 2 trolling motor batteries were put in early last year. They charge up fine(on board charger) and have had no problems with any of them. I believe they weight a little less than many other batteries if I remember correctly.

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast