Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Resonse from my Congressman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Resonse from my Congressman

Got this today and am now confused as he quotes what was going on in August but not currently.

Thank you for contacting me concerning the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and lead in hunting ammunition and fishing tackle. I appreciate learning the views of my friends and neighbors in Hampton Roads and on the Eastern Shore, and I value your input.

On August 3rd, 2010, a handful of environmental groups submitted a formal petition with the EPA to ban lead in hunting ammunition and fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. However, on August 27th the EPA denied the petition saying that it does not have the legal authority to institute such a ban.

Supporters of the ban assert the lead being left in the wilderness and in the water is ingested by wildlife and is needlessly killing animals. However, opponents of the ban claim it is an assault on Second Amendment rights and would lead to a skyrocketing increase in cost of fishing tackle, hurting thousands of small businesses across the country.

Currently, there are alternatives to using lead fishing tackle but the decision to use it is left to the fisherman. As the debate about using alternative metals in ammunition and fishing tackle continues to evolve, I will make certain to follow its progress closely and I will factor your recommendations into the decisions I make.

Thank you again for expressing your views. I am proud to serve Virginia's Second Congressional District, and I am committed to working hard for you. If you would like more information about the issues I am working on in Congress, or if you would like to sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, I encourage you to visit my website at Congressman Glenn Nye : Home.

Sincerely,

Glenn Nye
    Member of Congress

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    Got this today and am now confused as he quotes what was going on in August but not currently.
    on August 27th the EPA denied the petition saying that it does not have the legal authority to institute such a ban.
    As we've seen with Congressional responses other C.c members have shared, the staffers who wrote these things didn't bother to get the facts right. EPA rejected the ammo ban on 8/27 but is moving ahead with a possible ban on fishing tackle. The agency has 90 days from 8/3 to act on the remaining part of the petition (the tackle ban.)
    Fishing since '50!