Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stockton/Ruark Bluff Walleye tips/spots needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stockton/Ruark Bluff Walleye tips/spots needed

I'm tired of getting skunked on the Rock, so headed to Stockton Tuesday or Wednesday morning early. I want to fish for Walleye first, then probably switch to Crappie a bit later. Not very familiar with the area except for the flat across from the launch. Any info/input for areas, depth to fish for toothy critters and other hints would be greatly appreciated. I made up some bottom bouncers and have minners, but will pick up some night crawlers on the way
    Might have an empty seat if the wife decides not to go
    Ham Radio, the original wireless communications

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't really say which ones for sure because all of 'em I've ever caught has been by accident but I would just start point hopping. It'll probably be hit and miss but if I was going that's probably where I'd start.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are launching at Ruark I would try the flats in front of Mutton Creek for Walleye. While you are trolling or drifting for Walleye keep an eye on your graph for brush piles, The brush piles in 15 to 30 feet of water is where you will find the crappie. Verticle jig the brush piles with minnows, make sure to fish the outer edges and above the brush pile first. Then fish in the brush pile, I have noticed the fish spook easy and getting hung up can kill a good bite. If this happens move on to another brush pile, or if you have spent 20 minutes on a brush pile and not caught any move on. A second spot would be to troll outside of Birch Branch for Walleye, I would start on the south side and fish to the bend in the lake to the south again looking for Brush piles. If you can not find any brush piles there are several core marked brush piles around Ruark, Mutton, and Birch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys.
    I know they (Walleye) should be a bit shallower early and then go deeper as it gets brighter, but what depths should I concentrate on? I'm thinking 12 to 15 fow early, then 20 to 30 later, but I don't have much experience on Walleye, so need all the help I can get:o
    Doubt if I venture all the way to Birch Branch, but it looks like a prime spot on the map

There will be an empty seat if anyone wants to come along
    Ham Radio, the original wireless communications

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Post Thanks / Like

I have only caught them in the spring while crappie fishing with minnows on the points in about 15-20 feet of water but i seen guys fishing with a pole in each hand with night crawlers catching them on rock ledges. Once you get them figured out, give me a shout.