Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Circle hooks vs. cycle (sp?) hooks vs. octopus hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Circle hooks vs. cycle (sp?) hooks vs. octopus hooks

Once again I show my ignorance, but what is the difference between a circle hook, a cycle (sp?) hook and an octupus hook and which one would you use for what?

Post Thanks / Like

The octopus hook is a circle hook. The sickle hook is a regular hook with a different bend to give it more strength and better hook set. The circle hook is a bait hook that is basically self hooking.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I knew what you said rockmike, I had a discussion today with a buddy of mine about the difference between the two (circle and sickle), and it sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about the hooks. Can you lean it out? Thanks.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Circle hooks are used a lot for trot lines and salt water bait fishing. They don't require a hook set like regular hooks. I use them all the time for slow trolling minnows. I think Sat uses sickle hooks on his runners, and I know creek does. Most ofmy friend don't like my circle hooks, but I've gotten to really like them.

Post Thanks / Like

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creekslick View Post
    The circle hook in this link isn't what I called a circle hook. The circle hook is almost closed with a gap in it. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    The octopus hook is a circle hook. The sickle hook is a regular hook with a different bend to give it more strength and better hook set. The circle hook is a bait hook that is basically self hooking.
    Octopus hooks aren't always circle hooks...they do make Octopus Circles though...Regular Octopus hooks are somewhat like a J hook.

You also don't want an almost closed gap in your circles...a circle hook is defined as a point that points 90 degrees back towards the shank. They almost never get gut hooked and if you have your drag set right they'll hook themselves. If you set the hook you'll always miss 'em. Just start reeling.

There are many sickle hook models (even octopus sickles if you're not confused enough already lol). A sickle hook has a strange bend that improves strength over a regular J hook and the Matzuo's are needle sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Is it an oversimplification to say that circle hooks would be better for live bait, and sickle hooks would be better for a bait you were reeling or trolling or maybe even verticle jigging?

By the way have any of you tried either one when dabbing minnows or jigs under a bobber?

Post Thanks / Like

I've tries various types of circle hooks over years crappie fishing, both spider-rigging and vertical fishing. IMO...they miss too many fish, because the point of the hook is somewhat turned in.

Out of all the hooks I have used in the last 40 years of crappie fishing, the sickle hooks are, by far, the best. Yes, I lose a few more in the brush, but I rarely miss fish with them, and almost always have them hooked in the roof of the mouth, where the meat is.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, that was an informative discussion.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast