Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait's that won't fail you

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait's that won't fail you

The S&P silver phantom tiny shad 1.5 in. and the Crystal shad curly shad 2in. Made by Bass Assassin made in Mayo, Fl. If I had only two baits in my tackle box these would be the ones I would have, I have ben using them for years. HAVE YOU TRIED THEM.

mikeg
    GIT-HER-DONE
    Last edited by mikeg; 02-02-2006 at 07:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope.
    LET IT RIP!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Mikeg .......

been using the "regular" (spike tail) Panfish Assassins for a couple of years now, mainly due to my experiences with them in TN (Watts Bar) and the success of many of the tourney anglers there. They are definitely great for dock shooting, and compare favorably against tubes & grubs for casting.
    I haven't seen nor heard of the S&P Phantom. Got any pics or links ?? ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy go to www.bassassassin.com click on crappie panfish on left

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tried most of them

I have all but about 4 or 5 of the colors on that page and do pretty good on them. The S & P phantom hasn't delivered for me yet, but I think I'll hit'em right oneday. I like the chart/silver glitter, chart/perch, chart/pepper shad, gold pepper shiner (alot!), pumpkin seed shad, and the rainbow trout. There are several I have that I haven't caught on yet, but they just look too good for me to not try them every now and then.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up OH! O.K. Mike .....

I see what you're referring to !! I thought the S&P Silver Phantom was a bait company or a whole other bait ... I didn't realize it was a color choice of the Assassins. Didn't realize the S&P stood for "salt & pepper" :D

I like the looks of many of the Assassin colors ... and I have more (colors) than I've used. I'm going to have to see if I can't do something about that, this year ... as I'm hoping to get to make more than a handful of trips, like last year. .......... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

When Ya'll Fish Them Which Way Works Best Jigging Or Casting. I Have Never Fished With Them Before Just Wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Well "catcher" ...

since I mostly cast or shoot docks with them .... I can't really say which is "best". When I "Vertical Cast", I'm usually using a tube or marabou jig ... for a little bit of 'action' in the bait. The straight tailed Assassins don't really have much action on a cast retrieve ... they sort of just glide thru the water, like a very "unsuspecting" minnow. I don't know why they wouldn't work with the vertical jigging method .. I just don't use it, so I have no way of making a comparison.
    The Assassins are a solid body bait, and stay on the hook well ... but, I still put a dab of glue on the back of the jighead, and push the Assassin up against it. I mainly fish them on 1/32-1/16oz weedless jigheads, and throw them into the gnarliest wood ,or under docks ... and drag them over and thru the branches and obstacles in those places -- so I want the body to stay seated on the jig. .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy,

I've good success with the Panfish Assasins, but I don't straight-retrieve them. I "pop" them like you would a Pop-R (bass topwater plug), using a weighted cork with the bait around 2-3' deep.

When you pop them, they sort of shoot to the top and fall in a swirling motion. When the bait is falling back down is when I get most of my strikes. If nothing hits, I let the bait fall all the way down and settle out before I "pop" it again. A deadly technique on a feeding school of greenbacks.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am still "old school," minners are hard to beat in my book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast