Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawning water temp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawning water temp

At or about what water temp will the crappie move to shalow water to spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

It varies place to place. I ain't no pro, but when the water around the places I fish in NC gets around 60-63 degrees the fight is on. I've caught them spawning in cooler and warmer water, but depending on the over all depth of where you fishing and the water feeding it, you may get different results. Crappie are finiky, they may come in shallow then move back deeper, before they decide to spawn. That's my two cents, but I might change my mind tomorrow.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Mitch ...

it's a widely held belief that Crappie spawn in water temps between 58-62deg ... but, whenever the water temps rise above the 50deg mark, Crappie will start their prespawn movements - and may go on a feeding spree, to fatten up for the rigors ahead. So don't wait for the water to reach "spawning temps" .... head them off at the pass, while they're still schooled up and moving towards those spawning grounds.
    It's also widely accepted that the larger fish will spawn first ... so, being there in the early stages of the water temp rise, should afford you the best shot at getting into the bigger fish.
    All the main mass (population) of Crappie needs, is a week of stable weather & water temps in the preferred 'range', to have a successful spawn. They will react to water temp changes, water level changes, and heavy predation ... and this may extend the period needed to complete the spawn, by several weeks.
    The females don't drop all their eggs in one nest, nor during one days time - they move from their "staging" spots, back and forth between there and the nesting area (where the males are). Find the males ... then look for the closest deep water access point to that area (usually somewhere along the route taken from their deep water Winter hangouts), and you may find the staging point for the females. ............ luck2ya ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mitch! I usualy find the crappie actualy spawn in about 60 degree water or so. But like CP said when the water starts rising through the fifties they start their move. That may be differn't for you in Florida though, How cold does your local water get in the winter? They may be in pre-spawn mode right now...man I envy your state!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water Temp

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Crappie Guide
    Hey Mitch! I usualy find the crappie actualy spawn in about 60 degree water or so. But like CP said when the water starts rising through the fifties they start their move. That may be differn't for you in Florida though, How cold does your local water get in the winter? They may be in pre-spawn mode right now...man I envy your state!
    I went to my area river this past weekend, and accoriding to my fish finder the water temp was 62 Degrees. Thanks for responding to my question. Mitch

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is what everyone else has already covered. When the surface water temp is between 60 and 65, the crappie can lay their eggs depending on water clarity and light penetration and expect a hatch.

Here is something to consider. You asked when do crappie move to shallow water. The males will begin to move in shallow water before the spawning temp in anticipation of staking out their territory and preparing their beds - go get'em. Our water temps here now have been getting up into the mid-50's in the afternoons, so we have been scouting a few shallow spots to see. It won't be long though.

Another thing to remember is when the surface temp is in the mid to upper 50's on the main channels and main body, the water will be warmer, in the shallows of the coves where the crappie spawn. Sometimes a whole lot warmer in the northwest corners where the sun shines on them longer through the day. If you wait till the main body of water is in the lower to mid 60's the spawn is near over or done and you've missed out on alot of skinny water fishing.
    Last edited by Darryl Morris; 02-02-2006 at 04:14 PM.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]