PDA

View Full Version : Jig eye cleaner

dvuks
09-23-2010, 08:15 PM
What do you guys use to clean your jig eyes? Just got one from Mustad , it lasted for 6 jigs and broke, all the others are a little better but they don't last to long either. Is there 1 that works like a pair of pliers or something that's better quality

Dennis

crappie josh
09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
i use thoesjig eye buster looking thing they look like tweezers but if your jig heads are cured i have to use a lighter and the tweezers in order to clear the jig eye

azslabber
09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I use an eyebuster for jigs that have been painted by someone other then me.I clean mine right after dipping with an old jighead with a size 6 hook in it before curing.I have found that an old pair of slip ring pliers with the little hook on the end will bust the paint right out also.

deathb4disco
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Safety pin

skeetbum
09-23-2010, 10:13 PM
If you don't mind the slight odor, a bodkin (or safety pin in a pair of pliers) that's heated up over a Bic lighter will glide right through the hole with little effort. A piece of steel wool will clean it up when it gets too much build up.

wwwUncle
09-24-2010, 12:27 AM
If you got a few dollars to burn- maybe one of the following will suit you.

Welcome to the new Panfishpro.com website. (http://www.panfishpro.com/html/products/dimac/powerzaptools/index.shtml)

slabbandit
09-24-2010, 01:20 AM
I accidentally tried a drywall screw one time and it worked pretty well. Just twist it into the eye and it will pull the paint right away from the eye. I always said that I was going to make one with like a screwdriver handle but never have.

ScottV
09-24-2010, 04:38 AM
At Wal Mart in the craft section they sell a "bead reamer". It's like a small, pointed rat tail file with a handle.

GCD
09-24-2010, 05:46 AM
I use an acetylene torch tip cleaner, available at Home Depot for about $4.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/greencoachdog/DSC01955-1.jpg

An assortment of wire sizes for different size hook eyes and they have a round file on each one.

Fishaholic
09-24-2010, 05:51 AM
one or two...I just use an old retired jig to clean em out...but when there's a lot to do I use my dremel tool to do the job, makes quick work of it

litewirehooker
09-24-2010, 06:44 AM
I use a .032 (?) Drill bit ......just right to drill out the eyes. Works great and fast.....

lightwirehooker

The Lip RIPPERS
09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Call Larry at Crappie Pro, he has the best I've seen. www.crappiepro.com

jimeisaac
09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Here is what I use:
http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/81500/81661g-t.jpg

BassProShops, search for "jig eye cleaner" I think it is less than $3

I have to admit that when I buy a new pkg of jigs, I prep them using an old jig before I put them in the tackle box. This device is sort of an "emergency field expedient."

But I am going to get an acetylene torch tip cleaner like GCD talked about. It looks like it would work for the initial prep and also in the field.

dvuks
09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
one or two...I just use an old retired jig to clean em out...but when there's a lot to do I use my dremel tool to do the job, makes quick work of it

My wife bought a battery powered tool like a dremel made by Rapala, it was junk too.

CrappiePappy
09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
... that I use a painted jighead, that happens to have the line eye painted over .... I generally use the hook point of another jighead to clean it out with. If no jigheads are readily available for this task, which is rare, then I just pull out my 3 blade Pioneer pocket knife and take care of business :p

I do have one of those "jig eye cleaner" thingys, like jimeisaac has pictured .... but, where it is hiding, in any one of my 3 tackle boxes, I haven't the foggiest :o :confused:

... cp :cool:

jimeisaac
09-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I do have one of those "jig eye cleaner" thingys, like jimeisaac has pictured .... but, where it is hiding, in any one of my 3 tackle boxes, I haven't the foggiest :o :confused:
... cp :cool:

As you can see in my profile picture, I used to wear a fishing vest so I could keep track of the things I need when I am fishing. Then, I discovered this:

Westfork Lanyard - Bluegill - Big Bluegill (http://****************/group/bluegilltacklereview/forum/topics/westfork-lanyard)

It gets a lot more air circulating under it than the vest does.

Redman
10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I made one from a self taping sheet metal screw silver solder on a old peice of brass and put in a wood handle. I like to do things on the cheap and from what I have laying around. No need to spend big bucks on fancy stuff when I can make it myself. Rather spend my money on nice rod or a new pipe.

Redman