Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Letter from Senator and Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Letter from Senator and Rep

I got a letter in the mail today from Rep. Jim Marshall's office as a reply to my concerns with the lead ban. I don't have it scanned in yet, but here is a quote from the letter dated Sept. 15, 2010:

"You may know by now, the EPA rejected the petition submitted by the Tucson-based Center for Biological Diversity (CBD). The EPA stressed that the agency did not have jurisdiction to consider the issue. If another government agency does accept this or a similar petition, I would expect a number of Members of Congress will oppose it."

Keep in mind this is a quote I typed from the letter I received. I have not had time to research it more to confirm the "fishing" part is off the table for now. I also got an email reply early this month from Senator Saxby Chambilss office and I am copying it here:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and lead ammunition. I appreciate hearing from you.

On August 3, 2010, a number of groups submitted a petition to EPA under Section 21 of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) asking EPA to "adopt regulations prohibiting the manufacture, processing, and distribution in commerce of lead shot, lead bullets, lead fishing sinkers, and other lead-containing fishing gear." In their petition, these groups claim that this lead ban is needed to protect human health and the environment.

On August 27, 2010, EPA issued a response denying the portion of the petition pertaining to lead ammunition, as the agency found that it does not have the legal authority to regulate this product under the TSCA. EPA also stated that it will continue to evaluate the petition request to regulate lead-containing fishing gear and will announce its determination once it has been reached.

I understand your concerns over this and other possible regulations issued by EPA. Should legislation regarding this issue come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind. "

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know whenever you believe I may be of assistance to you.

I do not believe this will be the end of the attack on lead in use by hunters and fishermen. I do know that lead was removed from our arsenal for waterfowl without much effort nor much resistance by hunters. The web now allows us outdoors men more access to learn and stand up for what we believe.

Keep reading and learning and be mindful of what is being done that will affect your rights in the future.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

This is the reply I got from my congressman....

Dear Barry:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) possible ban on lead ammunition and fishing tackles. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

On August 27, 2010, the EPA rejected a petition sent by several advocacy groups seeking to ban lead in ammunition and fishing tackle. The coalition of conservation grouts sent this petition claiming that the use of lead in ammo and fishing tackle is poisoning the nation's lakes, ponds and forests and asking the EPA to ban the "manufacture, processing and distribution" of lead shot bullets and fishing. The EPA has rejected the petition on lead ammunition due to their lack of jurisdiction on the mater.

On September 22, 2010, I joined my colleagues in sending a letter to the EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson urging the agency to dismiss the petition to ban the use of lead in fishing products. The EPA has announced they will consider this separately.

You may also be pleased to know that on April 21, 2010, I introduced H. Res. 1282. This resolution would protect recreational fishing and boating in the development of President Obama's policy designed to preserve the environment. This legislation would also promote recreational fishing and protect access to public water for fishing and boating. Currently, this measure is under consideration in the House Committees on Natural Resources and Transportation and Infrastructure.

As you know, anglers play a huge role in the nation's conservation efforts and our nation's economy. The 60 million anglers in the United States generate $45 billion in retail sales and add $125 billion to the economy. There are also an estimated one million jobs created due to our country's anglers.

Southwest Missouri is home to some of the best and most beautiful conservation areas in the country and I certainly understand the importance of keeping these areas accessible to the anglers that make this possible. Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
    Member of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what mine said!

Dear Barry:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) possible ban on lead ammunition and fishing tackles, I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

As you may know, several environmental advocacy groups petitioned the EPA seeking to ban lead in ammunition. A coalition of conservation groups sent a petition in August arguing that the use of lead in ammo and fishing tackle is poisoning the nation's lakes, ponds and forests and asking the EPA to ban the "manufacture, processing and distribution" of lead shot, bullets and fishing. On August 27, 2010, the EPA rejected the petition claiming they have a lack of jurisdiction on this matter.

The second district of Missouri contains a number of state and national parks. Fishing is a common activity enjoyed by many of my constituents. I understand the importance of preserving the ecological health of Missouri's natural water ways and marine wildlife. However, like you, I believe fishing regulations should continue to be administered by the states and believe bureaucrats in Washington, DC should not interfere with your rights to fish.

Please know that if I do have the opportunity to consider any legislation related to the Environmental Protection Agency's possible ban on lead ammunition and fishing tackles, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me regarding any matter where I might be of assistance. If you would like more information on issues or would like to share further thoughts with me via e-mail, you may visit my website.

Sincerely,

Todd Akin
    Member of Congress

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    On August 27, 2010, the EPA rejected the petition claiming they have a lack of jurisdiction on this matter.
    Wrong. EPA rejected the ammo ban, but that's not why you contacted your Congressman. You're interested in the part of the petition that will take your lead tackle away and that part WASN'T rejected on 8/27.

We send these people to Washington to protect our interests. Instead, they vote on massive spending bills without first reading them and they seem to have no idea how the agencies carry out laws already on the books - TSCA, in this case.
    Fishing since '50!