Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat motors

What size motor would you guys recommend for a 14 ft. jonboat? The label in the boat says 6 hp but I've heard of people using a bigger motor. What do you all think?

Post Thanks / Like

I ran a 9.9hp on a 12' jon and a 15hp on a 13' gheenhee and I have a 12' juniper strip two man with a 15hp(that's my baby, she'll run 25mph). I'm not recommending a larger HP, but this is what I have. Also, The 12' jon is a more even comparison than the other two they were built for speed.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

i'd stick with manufactor's suggestion as far as h.p. goes..better to err on safe side...IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing that it could handle a 25hp. My old jon boat had a 25 on it and it would fly. Now, I have a 15hp Nissan. I does an excellent job, and pushes the boat plenty fast enough. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 9.9 hp 4 stroke Mercury on my 15' jon, and I love it. It's no ski boat, but it putts along very nicely. It's quiet, very fuel efficient, and gives good performance even on my 1548 Tracker Grizzly. At 85 lbs, I think it's only a few pounds more than a 6 hp. It would probably be just fine on your boat. And it would allow you to fish on restricted horsepower lakes (if you have any).
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

turkeyfootnc... i have a 30 h.p johnson on my 14 ft . boat and love it. the only problem is i can't get on some of the lakes around here. boat is rated for 20 h.p.

Post Thanks / Like

If its rated for a 6 hps then at the most all I'd put on it larger is a 9.9--15 hps most of them are the same head size there just set-up different, carbs and stuff.(i'm no mechanic) This boat must be narrow with shallow sizes? What make is it?
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc
    What size motor would you guys recommend for a 14 ft. jonboat? The label in the boat says 6 hp but I've heard of people using a bigger motor. What do you all think?
    It depends on how much gear you hall and how far you have to go.
    If your boats light without decking carpet heavy trolling motor passengers ETC. a 15 hp is a lot of motor and is easy on that $3.00 a gal petrol.:D A 25 hp would be overkill possibly unsafe under certain circumstances. Some boats handle power better than others. I've got 3- 14' boats. All three behave differently with my 15 rude. The best is the heavy duracraft that fully equiped. The worst is the flatbottom its not sturdy as is unstable.
    Really depends on your boat. If you plan to fully equip your boat the bigger motor will be worth it. But its gona eat gas. I think a 18hp NISSAN 4-stroke
    with elec. start is the nicest and the best choice if you've got the bucks.
    Can I get an AMEN?
    FIN

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

go with the lable dnr will
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Ga. we have a lot of state lakes that have a 10 h.p. max. limit. Don't know if you have the same or not. If so keep that in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast